Regarding an old Trick that was in OS9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all,

im only new to OSX, but before that i'd been on OS9.2 for ages. Do you remember how in OS 9 you could pull a folder down to the bottom of the screen and it would become a littlw tab. All you needed to do was either click on it, or drag a folder over the tab and then the folder would pop open.

i want to know can you do the same sorta thing in OSX, and how? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Drag it to the dock, usually close to the trash can, and it will open when you click on it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Hey all,

im only new to OSX, but before that i'd been on OS9.2 for ages. Do you remember how in OS 9 you could pull a folder down to the bottom of the screen and it would become a littlw tab. All you needed to do was either click on it, or drag a folder over the tab and then the folder would pop open.

i want to know can you do the same sorta thing in OSX, and how? Thanks

Not exactly the same - as Gene pointed out.

The dock manages files and folders pretty good.

If you are interested to regain other "classic"

desktop and window behavior, THAN you should

visit this page .

I wouldn't recomend it, because all these "Haxies"

do need an particular extention called "ape", which has to be installed systemwide, - and this is not known for improved stability.

Anyways...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Drag it to the dock, usually close to the trash can, and it will open when you click on it.

Either this, or you can use the Finder sidebar or even toolbar. I find all these 3 methods more convenient than the time-proven tabbed folders (or whatever they're called).

Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

im only new to OSX, but before that i'd been on OS9.2 for ages.

In fact, old habits are not necessarily good. When you come to a new platform (OS X is vastly different from OS 9, written by different people, with a different culture, etc.) you should develop or otherwise adopt new approaches and new ways to do everyday things. It's not always possible or elegant to adapt the platform to your habits. That's why we have Dock, Expose and other goodies.

You could also try various launchers and utilities to greatly enhance your environment: LaunchBar, Butler, Quicksilver, DragThing, whatever.