ibook or Powerbook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new laptop....my Dell is having some major hardware issues. I do know that I want an APPLE I'm just not entirely sure which one is right for me. I am a college student, Sociology is my major so I don't feel that I will be needing any type of "hi-tech" graphic programs. But in all reality I know nothing about what I need..... I would just like to know what you all think of the ibook. This is what I can truly afford, I really don't know a whole lot about computers in general.... ]

thank for your help- I know this is probably something that comes up fairly often but any help would be great

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Given your interest in pink, you might want to look at www.colorwarepc.com

The iBook is alright. Supposedly there's a revision coming up soon, which means upgraded models for the same price, and today's models for less price. Same goes for the powerbook.

The iBook 12" seems like a helluva better deal than the powerbook 12". There's really no reason to get the iBook 14. you lose some of the convenient sizing, and gain nothing as far as actual screen display size.

Make sure to get the edu discount. It helps a little.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lulululu Posts: 5member
    thanks for the offer on the nice colors but i can't spend any more than i have to.... white will have to do.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    I've got a 15" first generation titanium powerbook and my partner just got a 12" Ibook.

The iBook is REALLY nice. The battery lasts about 4 times as long as my powerbook and the screen is brighter. Plus it comes with built-in airport express and CD-RW.

Check the Apple site for REFURBISHED units. They come with a full one year warranty but are a few hundred dollars cheaper. So far I've purchased two refurbished computers from Apple and they have both been as good as new.

Suggestion: the best thing you can do when you order your computer is to get at least 512 MB of memory...shouldn't cost you that much to kick it up from the standard 256MB configuration.

The iBook is a nice durable unit -- I think you'll like it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thank you everyone for your imput. i took my younger brother today to look at the ibook (he is my computer tech ) he fell in love with it, so after a few of the upgrades added i have a 12" ibook on order! i am very exited about it, i am a little worried that i won't be able to figure it out or that i won't know how to ever check my e-mail but hopefully i will be able to learn fast......

thanks again
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    This opinion comes too late as you have already made your decision...

... but I think it was a good one. I had a 15" PB for half a year (my first Mac) and switched it for a 12" iBook (HD/BT customized to better match the PB) just a while ago. I don't really notice any difference, apart from having a new warranty and 700 euros cash left over.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    thanks Gon- the more i hear from people the more i feel that the ibook is not only really the only option for me as the cost but it sounds as though it is a better deal for someone like me.

puguy- i did get the upgrade to 512MB.

• Reply 7 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    lulu (I like the name), congrats on your purchase. And welcome to Macintosh.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    :-) my horse's name is lucy, or lulu...... have to have a name that will rememer otherwise i forget who i am...

thanks Gene Clean, i'm so exited about it!!

what do you all think of APPLE shipping? someone else told me that they were super fast about shipping, do you think they will be even though i'm having a few upgrades put in?

thanks again,

~lulu~