RAM buying and installation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi I'm about to by a Mac probably a Power Mac G5 and I've been told that it's best to buy one with little memory and purcahse additional memory elsewhere as it's cheaper. Can anyone give me any suggestions please on good, cheap places to buy please? Also, does it matter about the size of each seperate piece of RAM I buy or should you get as much as possible all in one thing. Is there a maximum number of different bits you can add, I'm not really too sure about how installation works? Regards, Chris.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    If you purchase a PM G5 I would agree, buy your memory else where.

You can get memory ever where on the net and the real world. But you need to remember to buy the in pairs. You can not just buy one.

The type you would need for PM G5 is DDR400 PC3200.

Hope that helps some
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

You can get memory ever where on the net and the real world. But you need to remember to buy the in pairs. You can not just buy one.

Hope that helps some

Thanks a lot, that helps a lot. Regards, Chris.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I was reading your post and all that you said is very true and there is plenty of places to by the RAM but I am not shore you should attempt to install it your self as you seem a little bit confused by the hole thing and if you have never dune it before the i would ask some you now who as to help.

it is every easy to install and you probably have no problems with doing so but i am concerned with you possibly spending all that cash and then ruining it by killing it with static electricity and other things can go wrong also.

but this is just a heads up because things can go very wrong
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Black Dragon

I was reading your post and all that you said is very true and there is plenty of places to by the RAM but I am not shore you should attempt to install it your self as you seem a little bit confused by the hole thing and if you have never dune it before the i would ask some you now who as to help.

it is every easy to install and you probably have no problems with doing so but i am concerned with you possibly spending all that cash and then ruining it by killing it with static electricity and other things can go wrong also.

but this is just a heads up because things can go very wrong

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I know anyone else who even has a Mac so I may just pay for installation or something, may be worth the extra dough. Thanks again, Chris.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    If you're asking your friends for help, it doesn't have to be someone that has a Mac. "How to get in to the case" Is the only thing about memory installation that is different from Mac to Wintel and that's true of all computers.

In the case of the G5, I think there's a fan that has to be removed, but I've read that it's easy. (I am too poor to know for sure.)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

Hope that helps some

G5 RAM has to be paired
  • Reply 7 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wow when did that happen and why? It's almost like losing ground.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86414