some buying questions for y'all....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hullo forum

well, i've decided i'm gonna make the move to mac in the next few months. i want to get more serious about (for now at least!) hobbying music production and want to upgrade from my measly celeron 450 laptop. portability is important, so looks like i will have to go for a g4 laptop

this will actually be my 1st proper computer investment, though i like to think i know my stuff!

few qs

1) granted there are updates coming, i think i'm gonna go for a low or mid-range powerbook. bearing in mind i consider myself a "power" user and want to make music, is there any reason to consider an ibook?

2) os x is multilingual, yes? i'll be buying my machine in japan and would like to be able to switch it to english no probs.

3) i should qualify for the educational discounts, being that i'm a junior high teacher. roughly how much do these run to? about 10%

i'm sure i'll have more qs!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    1. Not that I can think of, unless you're constrained on cash.

2. Yep - switching it to English shouldn't be a problem.

3. Yes, it's about 10% from what I can see on the Apple Japan pages.

Oh yeah. Welcome!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    You will be very happy with your Mac.

If you are considering your budget, you might not completely disregard the iBook. An iBook with some decent memory, would probably get your needs done.

However, using Garageband or certainly software above that, you will benefit and enjoy the performance of a Powerbook.

Yes, sounds like you have a great plan to use the educational discounts. That is good. You can see the education pricing on the Apple site. I hope you enjoy your Mac, and please keep reading the forums, or asking questions, when you have them. Planning a Mac purchase is a very exciting experience.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    thanks guys

i think it will make sense to go for a pb. i want to move up to stuff like logic and vst instruments. it's a shame i can't get a powermac, but realistically those things are HUGE!

also, my 60gig 2.5" hd on my old pc fried on friday. i managed to get the data off and am now hoping to complain and get some store credit which can count towards my pb purchase after purchase i'll get further store credit to the value of about 15% that i can use to buy a new, bigger outboard drive

2 more qs;

1) can all stores provide the edu discount or just direct from apple?

2) what kind of proof do they require? a letter from my principle?