CD won't come out

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I seem to have a problem with the optical drive on my iBook. The CD inside won't come out. If I hit the eject button, it starts ejecting, but then stops and mounts the CD again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    usually, when i hear something like this, either the rollers for the mechanism are dirty, or there is a custom printed label on the disc (or both). there just isn't enough friction for the drive to eject the cd, especially on the top roller.

first thing, if there is a small hole next to the slot for the drive, you can stick and push in a straightened paper-clip to force it out. i am not sure if the computer should be on or off for this. i usually turn it off first.

second, since it is an ibook, and if you can pull this off without dropping it, try ejecting the disc while holding the unit upside-down. this might give enough weight from the disc on the top roller to get it out.

third, if any of the disc comes out when you eject (even a sliver), i have taken tweezers to grab it quickly and yank it out the rest of the way. this is not good for the rollers (since you won't be pulling at the same speed they are) or the disc (since you might scratch it), but i have done it in the past.

finally, if all else fails, find someone to open the case up, pull the drive, and manually extricate it from there (if you want your warranty to hold up, it would be a good idea at this point to ask an apple certified repair person to do that... though they'll probably first try the things i mentioned above).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

first thing, if there is a small hole next to the slot for the drive, you can stick and push in a straightened paper-clip to force it out. i am not sure if the computer should be on or off for this. i usually turn it off first.

This doesn't matter. If that happen to me

i usally don't turn the computer off. And it works.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well whaddayaknow... It worked! Thanks for the advice rok, vox.