12" and 17" are just covering one far more important fact...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
That Apple cant find a faster processor to put in the Powerbooks. Apple are falling further and further behind - and it will be months before the processors are updated. Its the only weak point in the new range, but a damn big one...

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by iMacfan:

<strong>That Apple cant find a faster processor to put in the Powerbooks. Apple are falling further and further behind - and it will be months before the processors are updated. Its the only weak point in the new range, but a damn big one...

David</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe, but the 12" Powerbook has made me decide to get a new computer, and a speedbumped Tibook wouldn't have.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    PowerBooks? Take a look at the desktops. That's where the real worry is.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    come in here, matsu !
  • Reply 3 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't think many people are complaining about having *only* a 1GHz G4 in a PowerBook. That's plenty of power for a desktop - especially with the 167 MHz bus on the 17".

Scott's right. If there's anything Apple is trying to keep the spotlight off of, it's their desktops.

Year Of The Laptop could also be called Year Of The Don't Look At Our Desktops Right Now Please.

• Reply 5 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I read a review of the MDD G4 in PC Magazine yesterday, and they pitted it againist a P3 (or 4) desktop, and the PowerMac was equal or better in all tests--trouncing them in the Photoshop tests. This was PC Magazine! I don't think this is as big of a deal as some make it. My Quicksilver is awesome.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, i'd love to see those tests when both machines are running at their scaled back, battery level powers as well. IIRC the G4/G3's don't take nearly the same hit as the P4's do in that case.

i think apple is working their asses off to keep the laptops flowing while they scramble to get the Power4 inside the desktops.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The top Power Mac has a 1.2 G4 why not the top Powerbook??
  • Reply 8 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>The top Power Mac has a 1.2 G4 why not the top Powerbook??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Power consumption does not scale linearly with clockspeed, especially when a chip is being pushed to the very edge of its capabilities (as the 7455 is). A 1.25GHz G4 would have a noticable impact on speed and battery life.

Along those lines, the TiPB used a lower-voltage version of the 7455. That means it's more power efficient, but it also means that it runs at a lower clock speed. I wouldn't be surprised if 1GHz is about as fast as that model goes.

Higher speeds await the 7457, or the 970, or some other chip we haven't heard about.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>...

Scott's right. If there's anything Apple is trying to keep the spotlight off of, it's their desktops.

... </strong><hr></blockquote>

I read that comment at /. It makes me think Jobs is effing billiant. RDF up to 11
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    The speed is still slow, but luckily prices are going down. So Apple can still survive. But in the long run, they really need to push the speed up.

But I must admit the 12" is really a beauty. For once, I am willing to ignore the speed issue.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    speed was a huge issue many years ago, and it recently bacame a big issue when OS X came out, but now that the new hardware (GHz G4) with quartz extreme can handle the OS with ease, speed is becoming less of an issue for a majority of users. Thats why the market on the PC side is still focused on the 2.2-2.5 GHz range rather than the 2.8-3. People dont care that much about speed, and would rather save the money and buy something that feels just as fast in almost everything.

I know the die hard gamers and high end graphics pros will always want faster, but im talking for evenyone else.