External hard drive purchasing advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to get an external drive, probably a couple hundred gigabytes. I'm willing to spend maybe $250-$300.

Any recommendations? Anything to look for specifically? I've just been looking at MacMall and the Apple online store and places like that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
  • Reply 2 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

LaCie

Thanks. Yeah, I've been looking at those.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    With those wonderful LaCie (in particular the D2) external drives, can you replace the hard drives (for example, buy the 160GB version on eBay and get a new 400GB drive to replace it)? Just wondering.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Lacie D2 250Gb Triple interface is a mighty fine drive
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I heartily endorse LaCie as well, i was at the DealMac site this morning....

LaCie specials
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Firewire, even the 400 spec, seems to have a much higher throughput and general performance level than does USB 2. That's my advice.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Lacie D2 250Gb Triple interface is a mighty fine drive

That's the one I ordered. Well I started sending the paperwork through (the nice people at my workplace are buying it for me). So I could change still if I wanted, but that will probably be it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    anyone used one of the G-tech raid drives

in the aluminum "G5 like" enclosures?

http://www.800stereo.com/Merchant2/g...0001/graid.jpg
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

anyone used one of the G-tech raid drives

in the aluminum "G5 like" enclosures?

http://www.800stereo.com/Merchant2/g...0001/graid.jpg

a guy in my editing class has one. i think its been fine for him. if you go with LaCie (which i recommend), get a fanless drive like the d2 Extreme Triple Interface. I jsut got a 160GB one and its fast and silent. My 320GB Lacie is so loud, I can't keep it on any longer than a file transfer takes.