hmm, help me think up an argument?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Howdy, I'm going temporarily insane because of the constant apple PC fight over at the forums I spend a lot of my time in... I'm a PC and a Mac guy, I use them both, a lot. I don't have a problem on either platform, I greatly prefer the Apple platform, but they both work.

sooo, I was wondering if you guys could help me think of a pro apple argument that would stop these guys dead in their tracks.... (war over the shuffle)

http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21735

if you look around the site you will see there are many fights in which I am a lone gunman fighting against hundreds of apple haters.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I wouldn't buy into these arguments. If they can't see the point of having no screen (which let's admit is pretty silly & we all know it's to keep the cost down) then they'll never buy one. Just have to wait and see if it's a dumb idea when the sales figures come in!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    they may have a point
  • Reply 3 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Fisky

I wouldn't buy into these arguments. If they can't see the point of having no screen (which let's admit is pretty silly & we all know it's to keep the cost down) then they'll never buy one. Just have to wait and see if it's a dumb idea when the sales figures come in!

It's not silly, nor is it to keep the cost down (although it of course does).

iPod shuffle is designed for those that are too active to be looking at the screen and choosing songs visually. Instead, it either plays linearly through your playlist or randomly. This is an entirely valid separate market/type of usage and not in conflict with the other iPods.

It's stupid that some people are thinking of the iPod shuffle as being a replacement for previous iPods (as if "screens are bad" now). It's punctuated equilibrium, not phyletic gradualism. iPod evolution is cladogenetic. Unlike, say, Powermacs, (anagenetic) where each successive design replaces the previous (makes it extinct).

Steve Job's quote about hating tiny screens was not in reference to regular iPod screens, but to 1-3 line screens, too tiny to be really useful. They studied the users' needs and found that no screen is better than a lousy screen. It's in a pocket or armband nearly all the time - based on real world usage of certain types of people. It is the antithesis of the iPod photo which is graphically rich for those that can enjoy using the screen and are still enough to mull pictures, apps, songs and games.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    well I tried to post something on that thread but it ate my post and the back button didn't work, sorry frugle
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I should have said "I think it's silly" (MHO). Someone who does a workout and doesn't need to navigate etc, wouldn't.

It's all marketing, produce a cheaper product that will sell millions of units and tell people that it's good for them. You either buy the concept or not. It fits your criteria or it doesn't. The Shuffle doesn't fit mine, I won't be buying one but regardless there will still be millions who will. And I think it's a great new product / next step for Apple which will hopefully lead to a bigger market share.

I just feel there is little point arguing with people who will never be convinced (such as those on hardcoreware.net). They say it's dumb, i say let's wait and see.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Fisky

It's all marketing, produce a cheaper product that will sell millions of units and tell people that it's good for them. You either buy the concept or not. It fits your criteria or it doesn't.

But I think it's not merely marketing.

The converse is:

It's all _________(?), produce a high-priced, high-capacity product that will sell a smaller number of units and tell people they need a color screen and image capabilities with video out. You either buy the concept or not. It fits your criteria or it doesn't.

Is that marketing? Or...what exactly. What's the iPod photo's angle do you suppose? Status? Techno-lust?

Or, does it meet a specific user group's needs? (Yes, although to be determined after looking at sales data)

I say Apple is honestly covering all the bases and doing a good job of it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Totally agree.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Windows platforms cause brain damage

\
  • Reply 9 of 16
    thanks runner91786

About the screen issue, how many people actually use the screen on flash based players? its not like it has a menu like iPods or other HD players, all it is good for is displaying the song title...

but its not like you need to know the song title, its your music, so you would already know the title as soon as it started playing....
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

thanks runner91786

About the screen issue, how many people actually use the screen on flash based players? its not like it has a menu like iPods or other HD players, all it is good for is displaying the song title...

but its not like you need to know the song title, its your music, so you would already know the title as soon as it started playing....

A screen would be handy to have, but apparently life is random.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    When we get threads like these, it is time to close up 'Temporary Insanity'.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I read all the post in the othe forum that "Frugle" was talking about and put in my two cents here is what I posted (Boy I am gonna get nailed for this...).

"Mac vs. Windows

Come on this argument is still raging?!?!?!?

Mac Sucks! Windows Sucks!

Mac rules! Windows Rules!

I am in IT for a midsize company and I have got to say I like them both.

We run a 75 PC environment w/Windows XP Professional, and I have to say as long as you keep them regular maintained you will more than likely never have problem. It has been 2 and half years and not once with 75 PC?s have we had a ?Blue Screen of death?. We have had more problems than I would care to admit with the Dell hardware. Windows has really come a long way and I look forward to Longhorn. That being said I will say it does have it?s down sides but they are so minimal I wont even mention them.

We also have 8 Power Mac G4?s and 4 Power Mac G5?s, and let me tell you they are wonderful. They perform with out fail, as do the XP boxes. I would recommend either platform to anyone. I personal prefer the Mac only because I love Unix. With a Mac I get the power of Unix with one of the most elegant Unix GUI?s I personally have ever used. But that is only a preference with me. I would never have a problem using an XP box.

Besides my personal opinion on both, look what each mfg has pushed the other to do.

1) Mac OS9 and earlier we the most cumbersome operating systems ever! But because of the user-friendly design of Windows, Apple dumped their OS for a completely new OS with a more windows? style to it. (I will say that apple pushed the envelope quite a bit and I can see MS reacting to it with longhorn.)

2) Apple, by making Fire wire, USB, Wide Screen Displays, and DVD Burning standard on their hardware pushed the PC industry to keep up. The PC industry was in no way going to be shown up by a company with such a small percent of the market share.

I believe that the one up mentality that the manufactures try and do is healthy, and a benefit for us. The more they push each other the better the products we will be able to get. I love it.

Now back to the iPod and iPod Shuffle, if were not for apple and what they have done for this new industry, we all would be sitting here wishing we could afford these products. Even ordinary people who would never even care what an MP3 player was are now proud new owners. What this latest iPod is going to do is amazing. Soon we all will be seeing a flood of these new devices in the industry from all the mfg?s. Once again a huge benefit to all of us no matter which side of the isle you call home."

I am big boy, I can take it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

with posts like yours, i can see why

oh yeah, nice sig too
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

Howdy, I'm going temporarily insane because of the constant apple PC fight over at the forums I spend a lot of my time in... I'm a PC and a Mac guy, I use them both, a lot. I don't have a problem on either platform, I greatly prefer the Apple platform, but they both work.

sooo, I was wondering if you guys could help me think of a pro apple argument that would stop these guys dead in their tracks.... (war over the shuffle)

http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21735

if you look around the site you will see there are many fights in which I am a lone gunman fighting against hundreds of apple haters.

thanks

frugle, fighting the appleHaters is a good fight, if you enjoy it. if you are starting to get sick of it, let them be. Do you think anyone regularly on 'HARDCOREWARE.NET' is really part of Apple's iPod Shuffle target demographic?

Kids on HardCoreWare probably get wet looking at some big ass black case with blue lighting in it and some transparent cutout whatever

they might not be easily moved by a thin, elegant, and inexpensive way to enjoy your music on the go.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

sorry, the title seemed to fit what I was going through,

please Mod, move this thread to wherever it should be.\

I dunno, I've been a member there for a while, usually they're pretty open minded, unless it comes to things they don't agree with