No "Print Window" option in OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At the top of my list of what I miss in OSX from OS9 is the ability to "Print Window" from any window in the Finder. This was particularly useful for printing out a list of contents for a CD/DVD that you might have just burnt.

Now I have to take a screen grab of the window using shift-apple-4, open this in Photoshop, resize it estimating the right size based on an A4 page, sharpened it and then print it out. Then remember to dump the screen grab into the trash. Very time consuming when you are backing up lots of stuff onto CD.

Any thoughts on how to do this more efficiently?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Fisky

At the top of my list of what I miss in OSX from OS9 is the ability to "Print Window" from any window in the Finder. This was particularly useful for printing out a list of contents for a CD/DVD that you might have just burnt.

Now I have to take a screen grab of the window using shift-apple-4, open this in Photoshop, resize it estimating the right size based on an A4 page, sharpened it and then print it out. Then remember to dump the screen grab into the trash. Very time consuming when you are backing up lots of stuff onto CD.

Any thoughts on how to do this more efficiently?

1. Download, run (and buy, ideally) Pathfinder.

2. Navigate to folder you want to print.

3. Print it.

Choose "Save As PDF" in the Print dialog ideally. Then you can open it up in Photoshop (turn off anti-aliasing in the import dialog):

...and you'll get something like this:

Reflects your Pathfinder list view settings/fonts etc.

Here, I changed the list view settings a bit:

• Reply 2 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Alternately: put your printer in the Dock, and drag the folder whose contents you want to print into your Docked printer. Voila.

Or: select the items in the folder whose contents you want to print in the Finder, then paste into TextEdit. There's your list. Print.

Finally, for more detailed control over what gets printed: Print Window Standard is freeware; a more advanced version is $15.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Alternately: put your printer in the Dock, and drag the folder whose contents you want to print into your Docked printer. Voila.

Since I don't own a printer, and always "print" to PDF, how would I accomplish that, is it possible, some trick?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks guys, who'd have thought that there'd be a product dedicated to this very missing feature : Printwindow as per your link.

Cheers.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard to add this into 10.4???
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Oh, I forgot:

Pathfinder also has a great "Reports" feature.

File: Reports: Directory Listing

You then get an (editable) document containing 4 sets of listings (you can delete whichever you don't need).

1. Listing with icons and just item names

2. Just item names

3. Unix style path

4. File:// URL-style path