iMac Mini banner on Apple.com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I loaded up Apple.com today and saw this amongst the rotation:

I'm sorry, but does anyone else here think that Mac OS X is a whole lot more than just..... a 'reliable operating system'?! \

Cmon' Apple! Why are you so afraid to gloat the benefits of your fabulous operating system to anyone other than Mac users? It's time to advertise the benefits of Mac OS X and tell everyone why it's so much better than Windows. People aren't going to switch to the Mac because of Apple's hardware, people are going to switch because of Apple's software. The Mac mini is finally a vehicle for more people to do this. Coupled with iLife, this thing is a potential casual switcher's dream come true!

I was hoping (and I'm still hoping) that the introduction of the Mac mini would bring on an onslaught of Mac OS X centric switcher ads aimed squarly at frustrated Windows users, much like the short-lived Jaguar movies that were on Apple's site. But as time goes on, my hopes of that are fading. iLife is great and Mac OS X is outstanding, but people need to know why this is and what makes them so great. Claiming OS X is just a 'reliable operating system' is a grotesque understatement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It's says a lot, actually, in very little.

"Reliable" is as close as Apple can come to saying "w/o viruses and spyware, like your current Windows system!" without outright saying it. I assume you know why it's not smart for Apple to boast that outright on their home page.

We all know OS X is so much better than XP, but it's really something you have you experience, it's very difficult to convince people of it, let alone in a sentence or two. Talk too technically, folks tune out. On the other hand, frustrations with viruses, spyware, malware, etc. is at at an all-time high in the Windows environment.

Welcome to Marketing.