Fastest Internet Browser For OSX?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all,

i was just wondering if Safari is the best ('best' being fastest loading) browser for OSX? Im guessing that it is, but it just seems really slow on my machine. Im on a 1.8Ghz iMac and my internet connection is 512kb/s broadband one... I know that i need some more RAM (i've only got 256mb - and im looking into getting another 512mb), but Safari does seem really slow.

Also, im running Mail and Limewire at the same time (Limewire is only downloading at a maximum of 7kb/s though).

Any suggestions on alternative browsers, or suggestions for speeding things up, would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Hey all,

i was just wondering if Safari is the best ('best' being fastest loading) browser for OSX? Im guessing that it is, but it just seems really slow on my machine. Im on a 1.8Ghz iMac and my internet connection is 512kb/s broadband one... I know that i need some more RAM (i've only got 256mb - and im looking into getting another 512mb), but Safari does seem really slow.

Also, im running Mail and Limewire at the same time (Limewire is only downloading at a maximum of 7kb/s though).

Any suggestions on alternative browsers, or suggestions for speeding things up, would be appreciated.

Thanks all

There is already an active thread dealing with this question.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    That other thread is more about Cohen Brother films and and an attempt to declare one browser 'Best'.

Fastest? (Not neccessarily best)

I vote firefox.

Although some people report different results depending on if bandwidth or CPU is the browsing-speed bottleneck.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I vote lynx.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I vote lynx.

epiphany
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Im using Camino right now. It seems pretty good
  • Reply 6 of 8
    firefox and safari are honestly about even. there are some sites that firefox lods faster, and other times where firefox just chills for a while and forgets what it's doing. i prefer safari becuase i like it's tabbing system better. for the way i surf, it's much faster and more efficient for me to use safari.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i find the tabbing system to be the most efficient, and it saves me time. so, for me, safari is the fastest
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I fully respect the other members' enjoyment of Safari. It is the nicest browser to look at, and it has a great feel.

However, it lags far behind Firefox, when it comes to speed. For that reason, I make Firefox my default browser. However, when Safari catches up, I will happily return to it.