New SuperDrive How to make it work

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just installed a Pioneer DVR-108 that I bought from OWC in my PowerMac 733 OSX 10.2.8 896MB RAM, iDVD 3...

The Appe System Profiler says Disc Burning: not supported and when I put a DVD in the drive the computer dosen't seem to read it.

Do I need to install a firmwae upgrade or any thing special to get this to work properly?

It currently reads DVDs and CDs and I think it will burn CDs it just dosen't seem to work with DVD-/+R

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You need to install something called PatchBurn.

click Here
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The best source of info for this is the drive compatibility database at xlr8yourmac.com

The user reports and Mike's comments will tell you absolutely everything you need to know.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I also just installed the DVR-108 in my old Sawtooth PowerMac G4 Tower (from MCE Technologies http://www.mcetech.com/dvdr16xdt-d.html ), and initially iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD didn't recognize the new burner. However, there was an installer on the included CD with the product that installed a patch in the system that permitted the burner to work. Thereafter, System Profiler still noted that the burner wasn't Apple supported, but the applications DID recognize it. If you use OS 9, don't forget to install the extension there, as well.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Man oh man, guys stop buying stuff from MCE. That drive in just pioneer form slot loading for any powerbook, ibook, pc is available for $178 online.

How much did you pay for it?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It might be proper to check that link he posted before critisizing him?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I paid $99 + tax.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Does 10.3.8 have native support for any Dual-layer drive? I think there's support for the pioneer laptop drive but I haven't heard of any desktop drives yet. If you are a owner of a DL drive please let me know. Thanks.