.wmv --> ANY other video format?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I spent hours on google and versiontracker searching for an app that would convert my videos in .wmv format to something less shitty, but found nothing. Is it really true that there is no way to exorcise my system of this vile format? Editing .wmv is also impossible with anything I've found.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    This may or may not help. I don't have time to try it but post back if you have any success.

8)

forty two dvdvx plus
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Wow, thanks!

Tried it, and after a few tries I was able to get Forty-Two to convert the .wmv to an .avi format file. Progress. Then I opened the .avi file in Quicktime to play it, and it had the exact same vide/audio choppiness and jerkiness. No amount of tweaking seemed to change this result.

So I'm still in search of a way to play these .wmv files. I can't believe Microsoft's WMP for Mac can't even play Microsoft's own video format, what a piece of work! Yes, that's right, I'm totally stumped just trying to get WMP to play it's own frickin' format!

Why must Microsoft suck so bad?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    What do you mean by "jerky"? Are they just bad videos, encoded poorly, or is the entire video just colors moving around the screen with no decent audio?

If the latter, the 'author' has 'protected' his video, and you need his permission to view it - usually by downloading a 'licence'. This is how it is in the Windows. I, of course, never watch anything encoded in .wmv on OS X, so I never have that problem. Thus, I may be completely wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Have always had trouble with wmv and avi. Apart from that, can't contribute much to the conversation.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Junkyard Dawg, i feel your pain! For a long time i too am looking for such an app, to no avail. Even on the the PC side there ain't no convenient solution.

But the Flip4Mac WMV Import Component announced as "coming soon" promises to do exactly that. Quite pricey unfortunately.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Have you tried playing the video in VLC ?

As far as converting the video, I dont think ffmpeg will work unless it is encoded in an MSMPEG4 codec. The Flip4Mac import option sounds good when it is released. Im still trying to figure out how to download the demo of the export plugin. I signed up, but I never got a link and since then Ive had no time at work to search for it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Unfortunately neither VLC nor MPlayer supports Windows Media 9 (aka WMV 3) files.

Just checked the Windows site: Riverpast.com offers video cleaner which works well but WAS quite limited regarding its supported output formats, like no .mpg and no .mov. In between the situation has changed as they have introduced the MOV Booster Pack to be added to the video cleaner installation.

That would mean that at least on the Dark Side there is a solution to output WMV 3 files directly to .mov ... fairly interesting at least for me.

BTW these guys at riverpast run a support forum which provides great help. Last year i requested there exactly that .mov output feature ... well

of course they must have seen more than guy requesting that feature.