airport express and gigabit switch at same time

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know if this configuration I have is possible? I have an airport extreme that is all set up for my 2 macs and 2 pc's. All these systems have gigabit ports on htem. I was using wireless G on all 4 systems to access the internet and transfer files. Problem is these files are now getting rather large. (these are photoshop files in HD therefore your looking at between 1-2GB per file). This is way to huge and time consuming to transfer over wireless G. I recently purchased a linksys 5 port gigabit switch. I ran cat 6 cable to all 4 computers then to the switch. I assigned all 4 systems lets say (.201, .202, .203 and .204) as the host portion of the ip.

I simply want the file transfer to occur over the gigabit switch and everything else to go over wireless including simple surfing of the web etc...

The first problem is that on the macs if I set ethernet as the first item in the network pane and airport as the second, I can transfer everything over gigabit the way I want, but I cant access the web or mail. If I put it where airort is first and ethernet is second, I can access the web and mail but cant transfer files over the gigabit.

Any sugestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I don't know if you can do that. I have my computer hooked up to my DSL through a wired router, and I also have an AirPort Express to stream to my stereo and to act as a print server. I have ethernet set as the first port in my prefs as well, and if I open the summary pane, it says I am on my wireless network, but that I am "connected to the internet" via ethernet. I have a 10.0.1.X address for my AirPort connection and a 192.168.0.X address for my ethernet.

Are any of your 4 computers laptops? If so then I can see the dilemma. However, if they're all desktops and have been wired up, what's the point of having wireless? You're more secure surfing on a wired connection.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    one is a laptop and the other 3 are wireless. One thing is i hate clutter hence wires... I seem to have it working somewhat. I set the wireless to a class C private and the ehternet to a class A private. The macs transfer or seem to well with each other, about 80MB/sec so about what I expected due to limit of drives. Unfortunate I dont have the pc's working yet so I am trying to figure that out. On the macs its easy just to say connect to this specific IP etc... But on the pc's now im not sure in xp pro where to go to say connect to a specific IP.