PowerMac/Ibook decision

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With your help I've decided to get a PowerMac G5 unit and an iBook for portable use.

I know which ones I will be getting and their specs but is it the right time to buy? I know about the supposed powerbook speed bumps and it is unlikely that the iBook will recieve the same treatment, however; will it drop in price because of it? Is it possible the iBook may get some upgrades as well? How about the Powermac?

I will be spending a LOT of money on this setup and being in college--I won't be able to afford another computer for a very long time, probably 2-3 years or so. I would kick myself for not waiting a MONTH or TWO. Anything above that and I'd rather have the computer right now.

I've been to macrumors.com and their buying guide screams "DON'T BUY"? So updates must be imminent?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Does it say don't buy on iBook? I can't imagine it would, since they were updated in the fall.

Why not buy the iBook now and wait on the PowerMac? Surely, the PowerMacs will be updated by June.

Since the PowerMacs have been out longer, why not get the iBook, and then buy a PowerMac, when they release an update, or when you're tired of waiting?

Sometimes if you get two cool things at once, it is hard to enjoy both. It can be fun to spread it out. I really think it is awesome what you plan to do. I'd love to have PowerMac to go with my iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Does it say don't buy on iBook? I can't imagine it would, since they were updated in the fall.

Why not buy the iBook now and wait on the PowerMac? Surely, the PowerMacs will be updated by June.

Since the PowerMacs have been out longer, why not get the iBook, and then buy a PowerMac, when they release an update, or when you're tired of waiting?

Sometimes if you get two cool things at once, it is hard to enjoy both. It can be fun to spread it out. I really think it is awesome what you plan to do. I'd love to have PowerMac to go with my iBook.

LMAO, I did NOT even think of that!! Lol, I'm such a dolt. That is what I will do--buy the iBook now and then whenever the Powermac lineup gets revamped I'll snag one of those (or the now current ones for a cheaper price). Thanks, heh.

I'm picking up the 12" iBook with a 1.2 Ghz G4, 512MB Ram, 60 GB HD, Combo Drive. That should be enough to run Itunes and Iphoto adequately? This is gonna be my first Mac--and I'm SO excited I can barely hold it in as I type this. I just don't want a slow turd on my hands. Heh.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

I'm picking up the 12" iBook with a 1.2 Ghz G4, 512MB Ram, 60 GB HD, Combo Drive. That should be enough to run Itunes and Iphoto adequately? This is gonna be my first Mac--and I'm SO excited I can barely hold it in as I type this. I just don't want a slow turd on my hands. Heh.

That's what I have, except I bought mine with 256MB and added 512MB myself. Also have internal Bluetooth, and I recommend you get that. My second Mac. I had a 15" Powerbook before this. In my eyes this is just as fast and just as useful. Runs everything I want to run.