successful installation of 1GB in mac mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This was harder than thought because my putty knife was nowhere as good as the one seen in the video. Anyway, after just having the, screw it and use all force possible, attitude, I was able to get the mac mini open with my flimsy putty knife. I ended up making some slight cosmetic damages, but I don't think they are going to void my warranty... Unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Some recommendations would be to buy a very wide putty knife that is very thin and not too flimsy.

Anyway, now to the serious question. How's the performance of the mac mini now that I have the 1GB of RAM? FREAKING AWESOME! THIS MACHINE GOES THROUGH ALL MY APPS LIKE BUTTER NOW! Then again, this is coming from a guy who uses an iBook 700 G3 with 640MB RAM and has used his mac mini for the past week with only 256MB RAM (had to wait for my RAM to get shipped).

Anyway, I really recommend this procedure for anyone who doesn't mind voiding their warranty if they mess up, but I doubt you will because it's not very hard if you have the right tools and attitude.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Very cool.

I'm eyeballing a Mac mini with 1GB as well. I'm glad to know that performance is decent. Does the HD look like it can be replaced easily?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Just did the same. I had a harder time getting the mini back together than getting it apart. While I was in there, I looked for the hard drive just to kind of judge the difficulty of replacing it. I couldn't see it but it must be sandwiched below the optical drive somewhere. As soon as 80GB 7200 rpm drives become available, I'll be tearing my mini apart again to put one in.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hard drive seemed too buried in for my comfort. However, there are manuals out there detailing the exact steps needed to take to get the hard drive out. My issue would be if the risk and performance were really worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Just did the same. I had a harder time getting the mini back together than getting it apart. While I was in there, I looked for the hard drive just to kind of judge the difficulty of replacing it. I couldn't see it but it must be sandwiched below the optical drive somewhere. As soon as 80GB 7200 rpm drives become available, I'll be tearing my mini apart again to put one in.

yeah, after i put the case back together, it didn't fit. So I had to take it off again and carefully put it back on.

The properly align then smush technique worked pretty well for me.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I think the performance boost with a 7200 rpm drive will definitely be worth the disassembly headache. For 5400, it might not be worth it.

My problem with closing the case seemed to be with a bunch of metal "clips" above the ports on the back. Again, the putty knife seemed to be the perfect tool for aligning those clips before applying the "smush" technique to close it up.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    If you want to see exploded views and guides on how to take the Mac mini apart click here. (21.5MB, .pdf)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Why not just put the mini (sans cover) into another slightly larger container and mount a 160gb 3.5-inch 10,000 rpm drive via ribbon cable?

mmmmm....

Now, if only the CPU were upgradable...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    You mean, like a plywood box?

Why not use a Firewire drive? Or would an ATA connection be faster?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I could buy the mac mini or a g3 900 mhz with 640 mb ram, is there a noteable differance between a 900mhz g3 and a 1.2 g4, i dont NEED portability but it would be sorta cool. thoughts?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I could buy the mac mini or a g3 900 mhz with 640 mb ram, is there a noteable differance between a 900mhz g3 and a 1.2 g4, i dont NEED portability but it would be sorta cool. thoughts?

well do you have an external monitor you like to use? If you do, get the mac mini with at least 512MB of RAM. Also of note, the iBook G3's have been known to be problem makers. Mine was no exception either. So unless that iBook has Apple Care on it, I would stay clear from that iBook.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

I think the performance boost with a 7200 rpm drive will definitely be worth the disassembly headache. For 5400, it might not be worth it.

My problem with closing the case seemed to be with a bunch of metal "clips" above the ports on the back. Again, the putty knife seemed to be the perfect tool for aligning those clips before applying the "smush" technique to close it up.

After you said that comment, i kinda wanted to buy an internal drive at 7200RPM, but after looking at the prices, I think i'm going to just boot OS X off of an external drive with a 7200RPM drive. This should be faster, right? ( compared to the internal drive now)

At least I know it's cheaper.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

After you said that comment, i kinda wanted to buy an internal drive at 7200RPM, but after looking at the prices, I think i'm going to just boot OS X off of an external drive with a 7200RPM drive. This should be faster, right? ( compared to the internal drive now)

Yes, I did that for a time with my PowerBook. Startup and application launches were noticeably faster, as was opening and saving large files. I was using a Firewire 400, 7200 rpm drive.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

iDave, I just posted the link to OWC, in another related thread.

They're showing a 7200RM 60 GB IBM/Hitachi travelstar for $175.97

and a 100GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD for $259.99 with a 5 year warranty.

This stuff should keep getting better.

BTW, they are also showing mini/iMac 1 GB upgrade DIMM's for $202.00
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

iDave, I just posted the link to OWC, in another related thread.

They're showing a 7200RM 60 GB IBM/Hitachi travelstar for $175.97

and a 100GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD for $259.99 with a 5 year warranty.

This stuff should keep getting better.

BTW, they are also showing mini/iMac 1 GB upgrade DIMM's for $202.00

I got mine from newegg for 157. Sure it was PQI, but at least it wasn't generic. Also outpost has a couple of good deals
  • Reply 15 of 15
    It's great that all this info in becoming available so fast.

Any good prices on quality upgrades will only make the mini

more attractive. Thanks for updating!