A Couple of (Sorta) New Apple Patents from USPTO.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=AC/cupertino

Described as "The ornamental design for a user interface for computer display, as shown and described."

Also http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=AC/cupertino described as "Magnetic securing system for a detachable input device "

Take a look. Any thoughts? Evidently these patents were filed in January 2003 and awarded January 11, 2005.

In the event that these turn out to be something *important*, let the record show (and Apple Legal know) that I found these quite by accident.

Edit (after looking over the associated drawings): Whatever the first patent is, I have a strange feeling that I desperately want one. I don't know why....

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    well, i'd have thought a magnetic input device was a magnetic pen for a 'tablet' thingy.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

well, i'd have thought a magnetic input device was a magnetic pen for a 'tablet' thingy.

There is no tablet, there will not be a tablet. However, gee-whillikers, take a look at the graphics for the first patent.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Trackpads and the iPod scroll wheel (which is basically just a trackpad) are also magnetic input devices.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Trackpads and the iPod scroll wheel (which is basically just a trackpad) are also magnetic input devices.

Yep. That covers the second patent. Any thoughts on " target="_blank">The First Patent ?

(Click on "Images" when you get there).

V,V/R

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    That's just the brushed metal theme, possibly a general patent for the UI that iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie/whatever else use.

The dotted rounded rectangle represents the screen (of whatever arbitrary display the UI is being viewed on).

The "thing" is not a physical device, it's a UI.

Note the Mac OS 9-style close(?) and windowshade widgets.

Now, the non-aquaness of the widgets is unimportant, patents typically have non-specific elements in them (so that the implementation is not set in stone). But they do show that it is a software UI, not a physical device.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That's just the brushed metal theme, possibly a general patent for the UI that iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie/whatever else use.

The dotted rounded rectangle represents the screen (of whatever arbitrary display the UI is being viewed on).

The "thing" is not a physical device, it's a UI.

Note the Mac OS 9-style close(?) and windowshade widgets.

Now, the non-aquaness of the widgets is unimportant, patents typically have non-specific elements in them (so that the implementation is not set in stone). But they do show that it is a software UI, not a physical device.

I'm going to sound like a rabid Star Trek fan, but in figure one, between the round features on the right and the square features on the left, there is a dotted-line outline of the Apple logo. Looked Newton-esque to me.

You are probably right, though, it's probably the 'conference call' sub-app for iChat AV.

Never mind.

E. Locatella
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quicktime's UI had and has the Apple logo in the metal. It used to be even bigger, as I recall.

iTunes of course has the Apple logo in the center of the "LCD".

I think it's just a generic, non-specific layout.

Basically, any application that is also going to be on Windows, will have Apple branding be prominent.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Jeez, didn't anyone actually read the second patent?

The invention generally pertains to a computing device. More particularly, the invention pertains to an improved keyboard arrangement for use in the computing device. One aspect of the invention pertains to a movable keyboard that can be opened or removed to gain easy access to internal components of the computing device. Another aspect of the invention pertains to a magnetic keyboard securing system suitable for holding the movable keyboard relative to the computing device. The invention is particularly useful in computing devices such as portable computers.

It's the PowerBook removable keyboard, and utilizing a magnetic latch instead of a plastic locktab.

That's all.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Jeez, didn't anyone actually read the second patent?

The invention generally pertains to a computing device. More particularly, the invention pertains to an improved keyboard arrangement for use in the computing device. One aspect of the invention pertains to a movable keyboard that can be opened or removed to gain easy access to internal components of the computing device. Another aspect of the invention pertains to a magnetic keyboard securing system suitable for holding the movable keyboard relative to the computing device. The invention is particularly useful in computing devices such as portable computers.

It's the PowerBook removable keyboard, and utilizing a magnetic latch instead of a plastic locktab.

That's all.

The idea of magnets any where near a computers' hard drive

doesn't sound like a very good idea.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The PowerBook lid latch is already a magnet.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Understood, but that magnet is quite small right?

The description in the patent seems to indicate a much larger magnetic surface.

That's mostly what caught my attention.

Other than a PB with a removable keyboard! :-)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

iBooks too, for a while now.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Understood, but that magnet is quite small right?

The description in the patent seems to indicate a much larger magnetic surface.

Why do you think that? IT'd just be the keyboard latch, just like the lid latch.

Quote:

That's mostly what caught my attention.

Other than a PB with a removable keyboard! :-)

All the PowerBooks keyboards, except for the backlit ones, are removable.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Why do you think that? IT'd just be the keyboard latch, just like the lid latch.

All the PowerBooks keyboards, except for the backlit ones, are removable.

I think he means usable as separate, presumably wireless, keyboard?

If so, not much utility in that since the screen is dependent on a wide flat base so it doesn't tip over, and that base (the lower half of the PB) would still have the same footprint it has now. Who has that much desk space when in a cafe or train or plane...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    You're right, I assumed they were talking about a removable working

keyboard.

I see quite a few people at work using external keyboards and mice

and used that as my perspective. My bad
  • Reply 16 of 17
    No worries. The text of the patent actually states that this is for the purpose of accessing the internals of the laptop.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I wish there was a less pissed symbol, my intent was more a crinkled nose Jerry Seinfeld "Nah".