to upgrade or not to upgrade? leave my altivec g4 for speedy g3 zif

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok, im currently on a g4 450, after a logn wait powerlogix has taken on the task of making a faster zif based processor, only problem is its a g3! lol, i use photoshop alot as well as flash and dreamweaver and the occasional final cut pro/imovie job, im wondering if going from the g4 450 to the g3 800 is worth it at all, will i notice a decent amount of performance due to the mhz, or will it end up sucking cuz of no altivec, im in quite the tie here and just wondering if i should upgrade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    It would be best if you could benchmark it first. Maybe as a rough test you could try to run some of these on an 800MHz iBook.

There are many other things to consider than just the CPU. How much cache is there? What speed does the cache run? What is the bus speed? Does this get you a faster bus? Will there be compatibility problems?

In the recent BareFeats test comparing Apple's laptops the 800MHz G3 iBook did quite well in most of the tests.

To get more speed you should also consider a faster HD. In the last several years HDs have gotten much faster, even at the same spindle speed.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    its got 512k of l2 cache running at full processor speed (800mhz), it wont up my bus, so i dont know, i guess im just afraid of loosing altivec since i use so many "g4" apps ya know?