no 8x SuperDrive in mini!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Last week, AppleInsider reported that the BTO options on the Mac mini had been reduced in cost. They also said that the 4x SuperDrive had been upgraded to an 8x for the same price. I went on the Apple website that day, and it showed 8x when you customized the computers. The tech-specs, though, still listed 8x. I went back today to check b/c I wnated to know what the CD-R speed was in the 8x SuperDrive, and the tech-specs still had it at 4x. I went to customize the Mac mini, and it only lists 4x SuperDrive!!!!!

Was the 8x just a typo on Apple's part, or have they developed an 8x slot-loading SuperDrive and it was accidently posted as 8x on the website? What about those that ordered a pressumably 8x SuperDrive. It had suprised me that none of the other slot-loading superdrives had been updated to 8x, but now it seems it doesn't even exsist!!!

EDIT: I was also wondering why it is only the new, low-end Mac mini that has the DVD+/-RW, all teh otehrs still have the DVD-R. How long will it take for all of them to be +/-RW? Seems kind of odd that the $3000 PowerMac only burns DVD-R, but the $600 Mac mini (w/ SuperDrive) bruns DVD+/-RW.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Was the 8x just a typo on Apple's part, or have they developed an 8x slot-loading SuperDrive and it was accidently posted as 8x on the website? What about those that ordered a pressumably 8x SuperDrive. It had suprised me that none of the other slot-loading superdrives had been updated to 8x, but now it seems it doesn't even exsist!!!

Apple on Wednesday acknowledged it was a typo.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01...rive/index.php
  • Reply 2 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    All the superdrives that Apple supplies burn R and RW discs. Interestingly enough the slim line drives used are Matsushita drives that don't support RAM though, despite the fact Apple did long ago support it and that the drives should.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the info.

But can all of them burn +/-RW and +/-R? I know that all of them but the Mini say DVD-R. Can applications like Toast burn any format, but iDVD only burn -R on the other ones, but on the Mini iDVD can burn +/-RW? Just wondering.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Powermacs use Pioneer drives that support both + and - while the slimline drives are from Panasonic and also support both + and -, surprising for Panasonic but anyway. All I can say is they've probably made some decisions with their official support policies and haven't updated the other pages.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Thanks for the info.

But can all of them burn +/-RW and +/-R? I know that all of them but the Mini say DVD-R. Can applications like Toast burn any format, but iDVD only burn -R on the other ones, but on the Mini iDVD can burn +/-RW? Just wondering.

Toast can utilize the full capabilities of your drive, including dual-layer support for several of them as of 6.07. As of iLife '05, iDVD can burn to either +/-R, and maybe even +/-RW.