If you had $2800 to spend

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am looking for buying advice for an elementary school. We would like to create a Macintosh video station (in our Dell world). We have some ideas to begin but are having trouble choosing the camera and camera peripherals (mic, tripod, etc). We were thinking of a 17" iMac G5 w/Superdrive, 1GB RAM, along with a Sony camcorder. Are we on the right track? Any suggested changes? Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jcat22

I am looking for buying advice for an elementary school. We would like to create a Macintosh video station (in our Dell world). We have some ideas to begin but are having trouble choosing the camera and camera peripherals (mic, tripod, etc). We were thinking of a 17" iMac G5 w/Superdrive, 1GB RAM, along with a Sony camcorder. Are we on the right track? Any suggested changes? Thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds great - iMovie will be a decent starting platform and it is included - but if you want a little more power, I recomend getting Final Cut Express HD - this may be a little much for elementery kids, but it has all of the power you will need.

Dont forget the small stuff, you are likely going to want a backop battery, extention cables, maybe some lights, and a bag for the camera, all of this must be factored in. but yes, the imac g5 is a good platform.

My only other advice is make sure that little fingers are carefull arround the imac, you cannot press an lcd with a finger like a crt, you may even consider a plastic cover that goes over the whole front of the unit (if such a thing exists)

I would recomenf the emac but if video is what you want - you want G5 and 7200 rpm hdd
  • Reply 2 of 2
    An IMac would be plenty. Someone will inevitably tell you to get more power, but I have the older iMac G4 and have burned DVDs of my wedding, my honeymoon, and an entire youth league football season. Its awesome and unless you're planning on making professional video, you really don't need any additional software. I'm confident iMovie is sufficient for what you're doing. I bought my camera several years ago as well, so I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine. Just make sure it's digital and has the firewire port. Good luck.