Creating my own .MAC service

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I would like to be able to have an FTP Server mounted in OSX so I can read/write to the documents within all my applications. I don't the OS to think its an ftp site. Is there a way to do this? I have an FTP Server setup with 1 gig of space. I would basically like to make this the Document folder on 3 of my computers so all the information is the same across the internet.

Thanks

-Stuart

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    There is FTP (see system preferences, sharing), but you wont be able to write to them in the finder. Better way to do it is to use AFP (personal file sharing) if all the computers are Macs. If there are PCs, use SMB (windows file sharing), and you can use a program like SharePoints to customize AFP and SMB shares. You can enable these in system preferences/sharing.

You can also use WebDAV (which involves some setup).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

You can also use WebDAV (which involves some setup).

And which also powers .Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by surbahns

I would like to be able to have an FTP Server mounted in OSX so I can read/write to the documents within all my applications. I don't the OS to think its an ftp site. Is there a way to do this? I have an FTP Server setup with 1 gig of space. I would basically like to make this the Document folder on 3 of my computers so all the information is the same across the internet.

Thanks

-Stuart

Check http://www.tnpi.biz/computing/mac/tips/idisk/ for a good step by step.