Bluetooth, Powerbook, cellular phone in unison?

gongon
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I haven't used Bluetooth, nor do I currently own any apparatus that has it. I know all kinds of things are technically possible with it, but what about practice?

I understand it's possible to have a PowerBook in a backpack with you, closed but switched on nevertheless, and listen to music with normal headphones.

Are there Bluetooth headphones available that could be used to make the aforementioned wireless?

Cellular phones have Bluetooth headsets available. Could the headphones/headset somehow work with computer and phone interchangeably? How do you choose what device the headset works with?

It'd be really great to have the headset work with the computer, then have the headset switch over to work with the cellular phone whenever there's an incoming call.

- Gon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Bluetooth uses different profiles to communicate with different peripherals, Headset being one of them, and unfortunately, Apple has not implemented this particular profile yet.

But I don't think wireless bluetooth headsets are the best soluion for music due to battery reasons. Unlike occasional phone calls they have to be working all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I websurfed a bit, tried to get info on Bluetooth headsets and cellular phones. You're extremely right about the fact that batteries don't last long. The headset would need to be rechargeable, and that is a problem. Then it's going to cost and it can't be small (as in "always on your head"). SonyEricsson, at least, made such a headset and the runtime appears to be too short to be used for music.

Probably the best thing for this kind of use would be slightly bigger earphones, ones that weigh something like 100+g. A wireless headset that is recharged through USB, then you can continue using it during recharge and don't need a charger or "dock". SonyEricsson's headset has another clever design for the same problem; the headset shares the same charger with their mobile phones.

- Gon