systemwide - Interface navigation?

Mouse moving navigation? Moving your mouse

quickly to the right would mean "close window"

or something?

Anyone there, who did some investigation on

this subject?

greetings to all AI's

Hiya Barbara,

Not only that, but you can move the mailbox drawer to the other side by simply dragging a message that way. If I'm not mistaken it's on the right side by default, yet I've got mine on the left. I think the whole mailbox drawer thing is gone in Tiger, however, based on some screenshots i've seen. As fas as what you're saying about "moving mouse navigation", I'm sure that there are apps that use mouse gestures to do things. Again, very cool technology.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mslifkin

Not only that, but you can move the mailbox drawer to the other side by simply dragging a message that way.

Gorgeous.

Quote:

I think the whole mailbox drawer thing is gone in Tiger, however, based on some screenshots i've seen. As fas as what you're saying about "moving mouse navigation", I'm sure that there are apps that use mouse gestures to do things. Again, very cool technology.

What a pity, really! Actually, i just got used to

the drawers. Personally i like that concept

very much.

Regarding mouse gestures i'd like the idea

to navigate through my entire system simply

by performing a certain set of well defined

gestures. I think to some extent

Exposé is an early adoption of

navigating by mouse gestures.

greetings
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Well, here's another tip that very few people know about:

Highlight any text on your screen, then click and hold it for at least a second, then drag it to your desktop. It creates a text clipping. Think of it as a copy-paste in suspended annimation. You can then drag and drop that text clipping onto any applications open window and it will drop the text in for you.

Another is, in Safari, click on the icon next to the http:// and drag it to your desktop...it creates a bookmark clipping on your desktop. Double click it and it automatically loads that page. You can also drag the address down to the right-side of the dock to add the shortcut to the dock.

Another is that open any finder window, navigate down a few folders, then CMD-click on the title of the window and finder will display the full path on where you are at. Pretty handy when you're not sure which drive you're looking at.

Did you also know that you can double-clik anywhere in the title bar of a window to minimize that window to the dock instead of having to navigate to the "yellow dot" to do this?

The Mac has lots of really cool productivity features that most people don't know about but when you find these little gems, you end up using them a lot. Often times it bumms me to have to use a Windows machine to help someone else because things that are easy to do on a Mac, are very clumsy on the PC.

8)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

Hey, sorry, take it with a certain 'mount of humor,

but there was exactly *nothing* new in your post.

At least to me
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    good riddance to the Mail drawer

Apple joins in the ranks of everyother email application design and logic.

Mail looks too childish imo. I have resisted using it as my main mail app because it looks a bit wimpish, and compared to Entourage, its features are pretty bleek.

One thing I think looks real nice is the slide show function when you receive attachments. Coolio
  • Reply 6 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Hey, sorry, take it with a certain 'mount of humor,

but there was exactly *nothing* new in your post.

At least to me

Hear, hear!

But nice enthusiasm and sharing anyway.

Ok, but didja know that if you have Exposé corner hotspots activated you can drag and drop text/images/folders/files to destinations that handle the appropriate types?

So, if I have TextEdit behind Safari, I can select this text, drag to a corner and hover over the TextEdit window and when it pops up, let go. Same with moving folders/files. Very fluid. Works with the Exposé F keys too.

Hit Esc if you want to back out and cancel pre-drop.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Ok, but didja know that if you have Exposé corner hotspots activated you can drag and drop text/images/folders/files to destinations that handle the appropriate types?

So, if I have TextEdit behind Safari, I can select this text, drag to a corner and hover over the TextEdit window and when it pops up, let go. Same with moving folders/files. Very fluid. Works with the Exposé F keys too.

I love this, ... well ... since the early days of Panther
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I love this, ... well ... since the early days of Panther

oh snap!

I hate being on a Windows box, I'm constantly trying to do Exposé type actions and keep bonking the edge of the screen...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

oh snap!

I hate being on a Windows box, I'm constantly trying to do Exposé type actions and keep bonking the edge of the screen...

Well

Do you know, what i'd really like to see?

If i select text/pics from a safari window i

would like to drag them directly to a docked folder.

Would be a smart move, wouldn't it?

8)
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    What I find useful is apple-clicking Safari under another application and being able to follow a tutorial or work on a Word document without switching between apps.

Hopefully if you're lost a picture explains. Very cool. I assumed this would work and so I tried it.

http://www.shawnstrickland.net/images/screenshot1.jpg

EDIT: For Dial-Up
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Ah, yes... but next time, do us a favor and upload it as jpg or something smaller, ne?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Ah, yes... but next time, do us a favor and upload it as jpg or something smaller, ne?

Appologies. I'll edit.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

good riddance to the Mail drawer

Apple joins in the ranks of everyother email application design and logic.

Mail looks too childish imo. I have resisted using it as my main mail app because it looks a bit wimpish, and compared to Entourage, its features are pretty bleek.

One thing I think looks real nice is the slide show function when you receive attachments. Coolio

a computer app looks "wimpish"?? gosh i can see it now: "man that's a tough guy... oh wait, look at that application he's using. wimp."

• Reply 14 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

a computer app looks "wimpish"?? gosh i can see it now: "man that's a tough guy... oh wait, look at that application he's using. wimp."

go piss off people elsewhere, or tell someone not to post photos of their computer or something.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

Highlight any text on your screen, then click and hold it for at least a second, then drag it to your desktop. It creates a text clipping. Think of it as a copy-paste in suspended annimation. You can then drag and drop that text clipping onto any applications open window and it will drop the text in for you.

I don't have to hold it for a second to be able to create a clipping... is that right for anyone else?

Quote:

Another is that open any finder window, navigate down a few folders, then CMD-click on the title of the window and finder will display the full path on where you are at. Pretty handy when you're not sure which drive you're looking at.

Command-Clicking in some applications is interesting. Like Safari, it will give you a snapback page as well as the current.

Quote:

Did you also know that you can double-clik anywhere in the title bar of a window to minimize that window to the dock instead of having to navigate to the "yellow dot" to do this?

You can do that in Win XP.

But still... useful.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I don't have to hold it for a second to be able to create a clipping... is that right for anyone else?

The delay isn't a full second but it does exist, otherwise the OS would just assume you are merely making another text selection.

If your text is selected and you click and start dragging too soon, it will merely start a fresh text selection at the point at which the cursor is at.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I must be slow.