12" Screen too small for main computer/graphics work?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone here uses their 12" Mac portable to edit photos/video and as their regular computer. I'm very close to pulling a trigger on a 12" Powerbook (the new one) but I'm a bit concerned about the screen real estate. Would it make more sense to jump to 15"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

I was wondering if anyone here uses their 12" Mac portable to edit photos/video and as their regular computer. I'm very close to pulling a trigger on a 12" Powerbook (the new one) but I'm a bit concerned about the screen real estate. Would it make more sense to jump to 15"?

12" will be NoGood(tm), but why not pull the trigger anyway and get a affordable TFT screen for your main working space?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Just remember that it is all about resolution. A 17" screen that only does 1024x768 is the same.

With that out of the way, i will tellyou my experiance.

I have not really had a problem working with photos in PS CS on my 12" screen. I do prefer to do the work on my 1280x1024 17" Apple Studio Display but the 12" is not too bad. What i actually did was to use the new feature and create differnet workspaces for the two monitors.

I do run into problems with web design. On images with PS, the photo you are working on is scalled down so it isn;t too much trouble but you can't scale down webpages. They do not scale down and i run into some screen real-estate problems in Dreamweaver
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Its nice for portability, but I use my 12" with the Apple 20" display for all of my design work. The screen was just a little too small sometimes, though I got used to it when I had to.

Hope that helps
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks so much for your replies. I took the plunge and ordered my first Mac ever! A 12" Superdrive Powerbook. I won't really be using it for much more than iTunes duty, some iPhoto stuff, and some web browsing along with the occasional video editing. I hope I'll be happy. This is so exciting. I'm glad I waited for the updates.

Edit: Also, I realize that I'm a "noob" when it comes to Macs but why in the world are a lot of people unhappy with these updates? To me at least; they seem great. SMS, new scrollpad technology, 512 MB of Ram standard, faster processors, and a price drop to boot seem like a good deal to me.

• Reply 5 of 5
    i only do video/graphics on my 'book if there's nothing else around. It works as a last resort, but 12" is too small for everyday creative work.