Which mac to buy?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

My old windows/linux laptop has done it's bit and is due for replacement.

I have no experience with macs, so I would need some help.

I am drawn to the 12" ibook because of it's price and size.

Can anyone advise me of what to buy (like extra RAM, HD) or should i go for a powerbook anyway?

Secondly is it worth waiting for Tiger to arrive or will there be a cheap upgrade option with new macs?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    First question: what do you want to/need to do with your computer?

If it is fairly "normal" stuff (writing/emailing, web, "general" iLife stuff), then I think the iBook might be a good choice (excellent price/performance ratio). The 12" is IMHO excellently sized, too.

I bought an iBook 12" last May, and the things I went for were:

- additional RAM, but NOT from Apple (too expensive). I bought 512 MB from Crucial, all fine.

- the built-in Bluetooth module (this needs to be done by Apple at putting the machine together - can't have it fitted afterwards). I use my Bluetooth-equipped mobile phone with the iBook, plus I might get a Bluetooth-equipped mouse (NOT the Apple one, because I WANT 2 buttons) soon.

- at that time, AirPort was an extra (I got it), now it's included

- I went for the 40 MB hard drive (was an $25 extra). Today, I think the size is "just about"... Maybe I should have gone for the 60 MB...

At that time, I didn't go for the PowerBook 12", mainly because of the price tag (although my iBook was "beefed up", it was still something like $300 cheaper than the PowerBook).

For you to consider is whether the extra money for the PowerBook 12" is worth the extra features. Personally, I think the overall price/performance ratio for the iBook 12" is still better than for the PowerBook 12" (despite yesterday's updates) IF you need a laptop for "general use".

Tiger: there won't be a "cheap" upgrade option - so is it worth waiting? Depends what "worth" means to you... I assume they'll charge $129 for "Tiger", although judging from the just announced iLife 05 which now costs $79 (jumped from $49 for iLife 04), I wouldn't be surprised if they went for $149... In any case, the current OS ("Panther") is fine by all standards. Also, if you go for your iBook now, you'll have it bundled with the current iLife 05 - which is something I plan to buy for my iBook (to upgrade from iLife 04).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Tiger will be great. I can't wait. Historically Apple has given a protection period for those who buy computers just before a new OS is released. If I recall correctly it is rather short, maybe 30 days.

You will want to add some memory. Add a 512MB stick to get 768MB and you will be happy. For the HD, it would be good to get a large FW HD. This will be a good place to backup your home directory as well a place for large temorary files.

If you have the opportunity go to an Apple store and you can compare all the portables side by side. Be careful about getting too close to the 15 inch PB. It is easy to be seduced by this one.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    12" iBook:

Consider 512MB memory as minimum. 768MB is faster still. Look into prices. The memory is pretty easy to add by yourself if you find it pays off enough.

60GB HD upgrade was cheap but might not be essential, depends on how much disk you use and what you do.

BT upgrade is very useful.

This is what I have in my computer. I find the iBook is excellent value.

The 15" Powerbook, especially the cheapest 15" model and no upgrades, is the other Apple laptop that gives okay value for money. You can't go wrong with either.