Enterprise cancelled

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to StarTrek.com, Star Trek: Enterprise will not be continued.

Quote:

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. (Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.) The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

So this forth season will be the final season of Enterprise. Sad, really.

Live long and prosper, Enterprise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    WTF is the problem with Paramount understanding the "Five Year Mission" concept. Again.

Somewhere, B Jo Trimble's phone and email are getting busy as Trekkies prepare to rally
  • Reply 2 of 36
    should've changed that damn theme music. that'll learn em.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

should've changed that damn theme music. that'll learn em.

No kidding.

What a waste. For years, I've been screaming that a series about the birth of the federation would be fantastic, and what do they do? Give us a series set in the birth of the federation but then DON'T FRIGGIN' TALK ABOUT THE BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION.

And they cancelled it just at the same time that I utterly stopped giving a shit about the show, too.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

No kidding.

What a waste. For years, I've been screaming that a series about the birth of the federation would be fantastic, and what do they do? Give us a series set in the birth of the federation but then DON'T FRIGGIN' TALK ABOUT THE BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION.

And they cancelled it just at the same time that I utterly stopped giving a shit about the show, too.

Sounds like the plotlines of the finale may be rewritten to deliver what you seek.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Sounds like the plotlines of the finale may be rewritten to deliver what you seek.

Gawd. That'd be WORSE than not getting it at all.

I mean, it's like when Aaron Sorkin left The West Wing...little things like getting a bill passed or writing a speech that he would have spent several episodes on get maybe 5 minutes in the show now.

Harumph.

At least there's Lost. Everything else is worthless.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Seems to be so. But that won't do any good. If they change the story so quickly, the birth of the Federation will be nothing but "... and hey, by the way, why don't we found the Federation? I'd have some time before lunch..."
  • Reply 7 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Gawd. That'd be WORSE than not getting it at all.

I mean, it's like when Aaron Sorkin left The West Wing...little things like getting a bill passed or writing a speech that he would have spent several episodes on get maybe 5 minutes in the show now.

Harumph.

At least there's Lost. Everything else is worthless.

And Lost is parcelling out new episodes like they're afraid word might get around.....
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

And Lost is parcelling out new episodes like they're afraid word might get around.....

Heh.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Enterprise should have been cancelled long ago. Sci-fi aside, it was an awful action drama that would have been cancelled by any other network during season 1. It's problems are too numerous. From boring actors, pedestrian stories, over-use of technology to solve crisis of the week, half measures (Tripp & Hoshi back from dead at last 10 min.), heavy handed preaching and moraility tales, inconsistant personas (from alien in my body to vulcan acting unvulcan). I could go on and on.

Trek's biggest problem and sci-fi in general is telling morality tales over character driven stories. The worst example of this is in Next Generation. Warp drive is discovered to be bad for space? Go figure? Ripped from today's headlines. The automobile is bad for the environment. Preachy, pretentious, heavy handed, no story to be told.

The second biggest problem is Rodenbarry's evolved human. Since we've left behind all our base emotions, it leads to dull drama.

Trek was at its best during the Dominion War on DS9.

What would I like to see? Let's call it Star Trek Federation. Sort of like West Wing meets Trek. Each week we see a crisis. The Federation president and council plot, scheme, stab, and argue. Doing exactly what politicians do. Then a mission is handed to starfleet or military or section 41 or alien to solve the crisis. I'd rather see less starfleet. The 5 year mission gets really boring real soon. The intent is to mix up the actors every week. You're not stuck on enterprise and crew for every week. It would be cool to see section 41 again. Keeping it fresh is the idea.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

Enterprise should have been cancelled long ago. Sci-fi aside, it was an awful action drama that would have been cancelled by any other network during season 1. It's problems are too numerous. From boring actors, pedestrian stories, over-use of technology to solve crisis of the week, half measures (Tripp & Hoshi back from dead at last 10 min.), heavy handed preaching and moraility tales, inconsistant personas (from alien in my body to vulcan acting unvulcan). I could go on and on.

Trek's biggest problem and sci-fi in general is telling morality tales over character driven stories. The worst example of this is in Next Generation. Warp drive is discovered to be bad for space? Go figure? Ripped from today's headlines. The automobile is bad for the environment. Preachy, pretentious, heavy handed, no story to be told.

The second biggest problem is Rodenbarry's evolved human. Since we've left behind all our base emotions, it leads to dull drama.

What would I like to see? Let's call it Star Trek Federation. Sort of like West Wing meets Trek. Each week we see a crisis. The Federation president and council plot, scheme, stab, and argue. Doing exactly what politicians do. Then a mission is handed to starfleet or military or section 41 or alien to solve the crisis. I'd rather see less starfleet. The 5 year mission gets really boring real soon. The intent is to mix up the actors every week. You're not stuck on enterprise and crew for every week. It would be cool to see section 41 again. Keeping it fresh is the idea.

It was called Farscape. You know, sci fi with plot.

But, sigh, it was cancelled too.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This bitchfest makes me want to put a B5 DVD on.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

I agree with you on that. Maybe after a few hundred trek episodes, there is no more room left for new interesting stories. The biggest problems are bar writers -- they just copy old episodes, or create very unbelievable story lines.

Quote:

I have no problem with morality tales, as long as they are not too preacherous and are believable, in some way. I liked the idea that problems may be solved without force. That was missing from Enterprise completely.

Enterprise was too american for me. Especially the Macos (Marines) where a completely american unit, therefore I was not able to identify with the crew.

The worst for me was Archer going nuts every second episode (for example the torture of the poor guy in the airlock). Such a guy must be removed from command immediately.

Quote:

I was thinking about that since a long time. A show with different ships, different missions, different crews. More of the real life on a starship, more politics, less perfect characters, just normal people.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

best idea EVER. not only could you investigate political and cultural intrigue a la babylon 5 and ds9-type stuff, you could have lots of people come on for brief cameos, or short crossovers when necessary, etc. pity the original cast members are so old (or in gates mcfadden's case, deceased), because you could get some fascinating stuff. of course, nimoy can always be spock, since he's always looked 58...
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

pity the original cast members are so old (or in gates mcfadden's case, deceased), because you could get some fascinating stuff. of course, nimoy can always be spock, since he's always looked 58...

Gates McFadden? Dead? Huh? I think you mean Deforest Kelly.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Completely disagree with you. I think Enterprise was great for its three first seasons. I have not watched it this year due to its time slot. Paramount is to blame.

As for TNG, you are talking one hell of a popular TV show. While I agree it focused a lot on current events, I think it was a great show too.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

Enterprise was too american for me. Especially the Macos (Marines) where a completely american unit, therefore I was not able to identify with the crew.

The worst for me was Archer going nuts every second episode (for example the torture of the poor guy in the airlock). Such a guy must be removed from command immediately.

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it an AMERICAN SHOW? Too American. Good lord.

• Reply 17 of 36
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've been watching Enterprise from the beginning. I think it's just now, in its fourth season, finally warming up and getting to be a solid show. I'd felt that was getting better towards the end of the second season too, but then a whole year of that Xindi "in The Expanse" crap was mostly a turn for the worse.

What's going on now... with the Vulcans, the Andorians, the Tellarites, the Romulans plotting and scheming in the background, the start of the Federation... could be really, interesting. I've really enjoyed the past few episodes.

It's a shame for Enterprise to be ending now, but I can see how, with the way the show has dragged along for so long with low ratings, that no matter how good it gets UPN and/or Paramount aren't willing to bet that viewers who've been disappointed and turned away will ever come back.

Perhaps if enough people plead for Enterprise to not be cancelled they'll change their minds, or someone else will pick it up? Are there even enough people who'd bother to plead?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it an AMERICAN SHOW? Too American. Good lord.

Yes, it is an american show. But it is sold to the whole world, and has a strong fan base all over the world.

But that's not the point. The point is, Enterprise is an Earth vessel, not an American vessel. They even talk about founding a federation of planets. so everybody should be involved. There is no French starship, no German starship.

The spirit of Star Trek is missing. It's just "go in, solve the problem, and if it's still there, send the Marines". That's what I mean with "too american".
  • Reply 19 of 36
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

The spirit of Star Trek is missing. It's just "go in, solve the problem, and if it's still there, send the Marines". That's what I mean with "too american".

Whereas a United Earth solution would be something like a Dilithium for Food program.

(Aaacck! I made a right-wing joke! )
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Maybe in the final minutes of the last episode, the cast will remember that they have a transporter and will save the show from being canceled.