MPEG in iMovie HD

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I get iLife '05 with some very basic wishes. That the MPEG VX clips from my Sony digicam work with iPhoto 5 and iMovie HD. I was guessing since iPhoto uses QuickTime to view the movies, it would work, and work it did. It's great!

However, iMovie seems to be cutting the audio from my MPEG clips, both when i import directly and when I import from the "photos" pane (as they're in iPhoto - which I find most bizarre!). Oddly, when I find the movies in the photos pane and click them they play right in the pane with sound, this got my hopes up! But I import and no sound. Does anyone have this problem and found a work-around?

PS. I think iPhoto should play the clips like the pane in iMovie does, one click small preview, double for full QT playing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Convert the movies to DV format.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I use MPEG Streamclip (versiontracker) to demux Cybershot's Mpeg-1 movies and make mov's.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I use MPEG Streamclip (versiontracker) to demux Cybershot's Mpeg-1 movies and make mov's.

Very nice program that one. I just wish 1.2 would arrive to fix the crash bug.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I was using this for iMovie 4, but it's a long process when you have 3hours of 2-3min clips. iMovie HD converts the mpeg's to dv format, but is leaving off the audio. I can't see the reasoning behind this, as audio is played in the preview pane. I guess I will have to continue using MPEG Streamclip, but this is really poor on Apple's part, especially having the head of Sony (or whoever he was) on stage and claiming iMovie HD to work with most cameras...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Can't write a script to do it?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Can't write a script to do it?

That's a good idea. I will have to learn AppleScript, which I've been meaning to do for a while now. It's not too hard to learn is it? (I have done other programming before).
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

That's a good idea. I will have to learn AppleScript, which I've been meaning to do for a while now. It's not too hard to learn is it? (I have done other programming before).

applescript is pretty intuitive. i found that i was limited by the commands avaiable to use for scripting, not my own writing ability. (my only other programming experience is on those cool TI-83+ calculators!)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

To be honest no idea how hard it is since I've never used it Exceptionally repetitive items are exactly the sort of thing you want to use scripts for though and most people seem to rave about it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i use Streamclip here as well (have Sony Cybershot as well..)

The reason it doesnt play nice with MPEG1 audio/video is because the original spec for it didnt provide for audio to be used the way it is (MUXED). There is a whole long discussion somewhere and Im sorry I dont remember the exact details.

So, strickly speaking, its not Apple's fault.

Yeah, they should work around it, and it sucks, but until Sony starts recording in MPEG 4 AVC, we're stuck with what we got
  • Reply 10 of 14
    i was using bbDEMUX for my sony cybershot's mpeg clips, but i will look into Streamclip...thanks.

btw, can you rotate the mpegs in iMovie (or maybe iPhoto)? i shoot holding my camera vertically on rare occasion.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

i was using bbDEMUX for my sony cybershot's mpeg clips, but i will look into Streamclip...thanks.

btw, can you rotate the mpegs in iMovie (or maybe iPhoto)? i shoot holding my camera vertically on rare occasion.

a lot of people do this. i believe in quicktime you can do it, but you might have to have pro.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    i've always had Pro so cant tell you if you need it or not.

In anycase, open your MPEG, press Apple+J (get movie properties), on the left pull down menu select "MPEG 1 MUXED" then on the right pull down menu select "Size"

Yeah, that makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever and took a while to find out.

However, be aware. For some very strange reason, when you flip an MPEG1 muxed movie and re-save it, it plays back like CRAP. I have no idea why. Frames skip, jumpy, etc.

Anyone want to enlighten me on this?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    does buying the quicktime mpeg-2 playback component make any difference when it comes to exporting the muxed clips from a digital camera?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I would say it doesnt. I havent tried, but it shouldnt.

These MUXED mpeg files are MPEG1, not 2.