Firewire drive suggestions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to buy a firewire drive and was hoping someone might have some suggestions. I'd like it to be fast.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

I'd like to buy a firewire drive and was hoping someone might have some suggestions. I'd like it to be fast.

Earlier in the week I bought one of these:

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10025

Which as far as I can tell from it's firmware and size is a Maxtor 7Y250M0 - SATA drive, 8 MB cache, 7200 RPM. The enclosure is aluminium and fanless, so it's pretty quiet when it's not accessing the disk.

It's also got USB2/FW400 and FW800 interfaces and cables - I've got it on my iMac for now (FW400 only), but a couple of years down the line it'll be nice to move it onto whichever FW800 Mac I've got in the future...

Works a treat, using it as the boot drive atm, but when writing/accessing (reinstalling, for instance... ) it's much more audible than the iMac's internal HD, buried inside the machine.

Good luck,

Martin.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

make sure its at least 7200rpm and has an 8MB chache. if you have FW800 get that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

make sure its at least 7200rpm and has an 8MB chache. if you have FW800 get that.

So I bought the right thing. Sweet!

Martin.