New powerbooks got me feeling down

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This weeks news about upgraded powerbooks stung me hard. I had been saving up for over a year to buy a powerbook and did so.. in January, about three weeks ago. I opted (for price reasons) to go with the 12inch combo with 512 ram. So you can image my pain when I see the new ads for the powerbooks this week which for the same price as I payed in Jaunary, you now get the extra ram as standard, 20 gigs of extra HD space, bluetooth 2, airport etc as well as iLife 05 ( which I didnt get as I bought right after macworld - but my apple store gave me a nice form with which I can upgrade to iLife 05 for 30 bucks) but the real stinger is the 8x Superdrive. I was very upset. And pretty pissed off to be honest.

Does anyone know if I am able to get any kind of upgrade of some sort? My powerbook is great but I feel like I got ripped off with the upgrade comming only two weeks after I put down my cash.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    After all, they make all their big announcements at Macworld, right?

That's what i thought anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joeshields

After all, they make all their big announcements at Macworld, right?

That's what i thought anyway.

Exactly, and the bumped powerbooks are a decidedly minor announcement.

It sucks, but that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. I bought my iBook 700 three weeks before they got an update and a price cut too.

In my opinion it's just not worth to get bent out of shape over.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Do Apple have any regular product upgrade cycle?

I guess they didnt announce this upgrade at macworld for not wanting to take any attention away from the mini and shuffle, but a heads up to say 'hey the G5 isnt ready until later this year but expect new powerbook upgrades in the first quater' would have been nice.

Would the sales staff at the Apple store known about the upgrades before they were officially announced?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    This happens to everybody, so don't feel down--just enjoy what you have.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joeshields

but a heads up to say 'hey the G5 isnt ready until later this year but expect new powerbook upgrades in the first quater' would have been nice.

They won't ever do that. For the reason why, look up "Osborne Effect".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I just found out about this site myself; I think it's already been posted but I'll post it again:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Sorry to hear about your situation. Best advice is to just enjoy your mac! No matter what you buy, it's already obsolete.

• Reply 7 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The good news for you is that it wasn't all that much of a bump, as these things go. And sorry for rubbing salt in the wound, but everyone here was expecting small PowerBook bumps a week or two after MacWorld.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

They won't ever do that. For the reason why, look up "Osborne Effect".

Actually no less a personage than Steve himself did something very similar when he promised 3 ghz a year after announcing the G5. (Of course we're still waiting.)

Bet he never does it again though.