Anyone wanna buy a Pismo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 400MHz Pismo with airport and DVD. It is in great condition and works perfect. Best offer takes it! Wife is making me clean up the office.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I have a 400MHz Pismo with airport and DVD. It is in great condition and works perfect. Best offer takes it! Wife is making me clean up the office.

How does it run OSX? and how much ram does it have?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    It has 256 and amazingly it runs Panther great and Tiger well also!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I also have a 400Mhz Pismo running OS 10.3.7. Though I have 768MB RAM, I can vouch for Gregg that it can run great. Besides, its not like 512MB ram is very expensive anymore.

I'm half tempted to buy because I may need a new DVD player soon, but I have no place for another computer and my original Pismo may get jealous.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I would pay ~$100...is this an acceptable offer?

(none on ebay which I was going to use to gauge my offer)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I would pay ~$100...is this an acceptable offer?

(none on ebay which I was going to use to gauge my offer)

I'd say $250, I don't really know.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'd say $250, I don't really know.

As much as I love Apple, I have a thing about old equipment - NO 5ish year old laptop, IMHO is worth more than ~$175 and even that is streching it a bit. By the time I pay $250, + s&h + a case/laptop bag, I have spent ~$400 = thus I would get a mac mini and be about 4x the speed
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

As much as I love Apple, I have a thing about old equipment - NO 5ish year old laptop, IMHO is worth more than ~$175 and even that is streching it a bit. By the time I pay $250, + s&h + a case/laptop bag, I have spent ~$400 = thus I would get a mac mini and be about 4x the speed

yeah, there is a problem, every time you look at replacing hardware like this (my wife has a pismo 500 MHz G3 with DVD which runs panther okay with 640 MB RAM installed). the mac mini is a bit of an unfair comparison, since you can't easily carry around a screen with you, but the ibooks are a fair comparison, and they are easily over twice as fast, and the 12" has it beat on size and weight. but if you sell it to someone who is fine with running OS 9 type apps, it's great. i would agree it's probably fallen in usable value, compared to its closest tech competitors, to about $150 in value.

basically, i have resigned myself to the fact that i will use any mac i buy until the last bolt falls out, and then just donate it to whomever wants to inherit it and try to make it a contender again (or just put in a glass case). then let them decide if they want to upgrade it. i have been sitting on a powermac 7300 which i could upgrade to g4 speeds, which i inherited for free, but it would very much be a hobbyist computer, dedicated to running old photoshop filters i own that will never be updated, and running legacy software apps to open old files i still have kicking around on archive cd's and zip disks. hook up an external large hard drive to it, and it can be a decent little file server, runnign scripts for maintenance, and pretty secure, as hacker's knowledge of os 9 is dwindling even faster now that it's so far in the rearview mirror. upgrading that computer is a decent idea, since i made no initial investment in the hardware.

sometimes i think it would be a cool idea for macworld to just have an area where people bring their old hardware, and if you want it, just take it. no strings, no warranty, no promises. heck, i bet i could still make a screaming fast school computer for a kid to do work on given the right set of hardware pieces and peripherals.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, there is a problem, every time you look at replacing hardware like this (my wife has a pismo 500 MHz G3 with DVD which runs panther okay with 640 MB RAM installed). the mac mini is a bit of an unfair comparison, since you can't easily carry around a screen with you, but the ibooks are a fair comparison, and they are easily over twice as fast, and the 12" has it beat on size and weight. but if you sell it to someone who is fine with running OS 9 type apps, it's great. i would agree it's probably fallen in usable value, compared to its closest tech competitors, to about $150 in value.

basically, i have resigned myself to the fact that i will use any mac i buy until the last bolt falls out, and then just donate it to whomever wants to inherit it and try to make it a contender again (or just put in a glass case). then let them decide if they want to upgrade it. i have been sitting on a powermac 7300 which i could upgrade to g4 speeds, which i inherited for free, but it would very much be a hobbyist computer, dedicated to running old photoshop filters i own that will never be updated, and running legacy software apps to open old files i still have kicking around on archive cd's and zip disks. hook up an external large hard drive to it, and it can be a decent little file server, runnign scripts for maintenance, and pretty secure, as hacker's knowledge of os 9 is dwindling even faster now that it's so far in the rearview mirror. upgrading that computer is a decent idea, since i made no initial investment in the hardware.

sometimes i think it would be a cool idea for macworld to just have an area where people bring their old hardware, and if you want it, just take it. no strings, no warranty, no promises. heck, i bet i could still make a screaming fast school computer for a kid to do work on given the right set of hardware pieces and peripherals.

great points: the more I think about it, the better this critter sounds _ It could run OSX with satisfactory speed, and Office X, and I could take it anywhere I go...and with the wifi built in, internet access from nearly anywhere. The more I think about it, the more this is sounding better than the ~$100 that i was looking at sinking into my PC for upgrades that I don't really need...

Greg: the offer of $100 is on the table, what are your thoughts: what price did you have in mind?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I guess you guys don't appreciate a good piece of equiment. I have already received a few $300+ offers.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I guess you guys don't appreciate a good piece of equiment. I have already received a few $300+ offers.

While it is a great laptop, but it is 5 years old, in computeres, that is a lifetime. IMHO, anyone who would pay more than 300$ for it is a little crazy, or really desperate for a higher end OS9 native portable, either way, my advice is take the 300+ and run
  • Reply 11 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

my advice is take the 300+ and run very very quickly

fixed