Backiin up iTune library

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a G4 iMac with about 25 gigs or so of music. I never have backed this up other than to my iPod. However, I have nearly a thousand iTunes store songs (Yikes!) and I realize that I'm not being very smart, but I am being dumb.

Anyway, I tried to back up my library onto my 250GB LaCie hard drive. During the copy process, when it comes onto anything with a "?", it says it can't copy because of one of the characters. It then seems to stop the copy process.

Is there anyway I can override this? Or lacking that, is there anyway I can at least continue the process for the other songs/files?

I had the same problem backing up a batch of scanned photos. If I had one where I didn't know someone, I'd put a "?" in the name, and the LaCie (?or my mac?) wouldn't let the process continue.

Thanks for reading this.

Tom E.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    take a drive image

or get ipod rip and use the ipod for the backup. It has saved me twice and is worth the price.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Are you sure the lacie drive is mac formatted, becuase a pc formatted drive doesn't like wierd characters
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll check on those things.!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Also, about every six months, I backup all of my MP3s to DVD...it takes about 8 of them, but hey, peace of mind is priceless, eh?