No Internet System Preferences

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm looking to set my default browser and email client in OS X 10.3, and I read that I'm supposed to go into System Preferences and choose Internet.

However, I can't seem to find that option.

I'd post a screenshot if I could, but I'm not sure if this can be done.

Basically, this what I see in System Preferences,

Internet & Network:

.Mac Network QuickTime Sharing

Is there a way for me to get into the Internet preferences to set my defaults? It doesn't seem obvious to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    That's how it was in 10.2. With 10.3, it's now moved into Apple's applications - Safari and Mail preferences will allow you to set the default browser and mail client, respectively.

It's really dumb, I know - but that's how it is. \
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I tried going into Safari, but when I go into System Preferences, it only gives me the bookmark preferences. There are no icons for any other preferences.

Is this normal? I tried everything in Safari, and I can't seem to get into the right Preferences screen.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Look at these pictures and see if they help. It's the first entry in each screenshot, "Default Web Broswer"/"Default Email Reader":

• Reply 4 of 8
    There's something wrong with my preferences screen.

This is what I see:

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~ldeg...l/Picture3.pdf

As you can see, there are no icons at the top. It only shows me my bookmark preferences with no way to switch. This happens regardless of what I do in Safari. It looks like some kind of bug or something that was installed incorrectly.

Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Look at these pictures and see if they help. It's the first entry in each screenshot, "Default Web Broswer"/"Default Email Reader":

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

There's something wrong with my preferences screen.

This is what I see:

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~ldeg...l/Picture3.pdf

As you can see, there are no icons at the top. It only shows me my bookmark preferences with no way to switch. This happens regardless of what I do in Safari. It looks like some kind of bug or something that was installed incorrectly.

Use the oval in the upper right corner of the preferences window to disclose the toolbar - then you'll see all of the toolbar buttons that you can switch through. It's in the general tab.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    BTW, this works exactly the same anywhere you see that oval button in the right side of the title bar. (It's called a lozenge, actually.) It toggles whether the toolbar is visible. In most applications, Cmd-opt-clicking on it will drop down a sheet where you can customize the toolbar. Just drag the buttons around, drag them off the bar to remove them, add any from the sheet... customize to your heart's content. (This generally doesn't work in Preferences though. :/) Try a Finder window.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks. I had no idea what the oval was for. I must have pressed it unknowingly when I first ran Safari.

Now I can see the icons. From here, it was a simple matter to set my default browser.

As you can see, I'm a former Windows/Linux user who has yet to master every detail of the Mac world In fact, I just got my Mac on Thursday.

I was afraid there was a flaw in the installation.

Thankfully, as with the rest of OS X, the system is pretty much flawless.

Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Use the oval in the upper right corner of the preferences window to disclose the toolbar - then you'll see all of the toolbar buttons that you can switch through. It's in the general tab.

• Reply 8 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Btw, More Internet: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12849 and (my favorite) RCDefaultApp: http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/ allow for much more customization of such defaults.