Amazon Prime- unlimted 2 day shipping $79 annual

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From Amazon.com's webpage.

So how many people here think that'll save'em some money. I like the gamble Amazon is taking here. They're betting that those fringe orders that go away will be secured. In a way this is like being the Costco of the Internet. Reducing shipping as a component of a sale is at first glance pretty smart.

I may have to partake of this and see what it does for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That makes a lot of sense for people who buy EVERYTHING off Amazon, but for those of us who like to shop around for the lowest price, it's not the greatest thing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    is 2-day shipping generally seen as a luxury? I almost always pay for it if it's anything remotely important. It's a pretty good idea on Amazon's part. Especially because people will probably feel the need to buy more in order to actually take advantage of the savings they'd acquire for being a member. The $4 overnight shipping is pretty slick too. I would considering doing this if I a) purchased from Amazon.com a little bit more and b) it was a little cheaper
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

is 2-day shipping generally seen as a luxury? I almost always pay for it if it's anything remotely important. It's a pretty good idea on Amazon's part. Especially because people will probably feel the need to buy more in order to actually take advantage of the savings they'd acquire for being a member. The $4 overnight shipping is pretty slick too. I would considering doing this if I a) purchased from Amazon.com a little bit more and b) it was a little cheaper

In comparison to Free Super Saver (ground) that Amazon offers? Yes, quite a luxury IMO. It's one thing if you pay ground and then would have to pay the difference to 2-day. However, paying 2-day shipping is costly for many in comparison to FREE (provided your order is > $25).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    anyone remember the good old days when Cyberian Outpost had free Airborne Express OVERNIGHT shipping to anywhere and on any product.

I would order an ink cartridge at 11:58PM and have it the next morning by 10am for just the price of the ink cartridge....18.99.... they didn't even charge tax.

It was incredible. I ordered every piece of electronics i could from them....and then they started charging....and charging more and more. ah well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yup... I got my indigo iMac DV 400 from outpost... (or was it my brother's dvse from the year before?) $1000 flat overnight. very cool.

Shipping has become a LOT more expensive since then tho... something to do with the cali dock strike.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey everyone; long time no see. Hope you guys are well. Thought I'd pop in and see what you yahoos were up to. Amazon thread looked as good as any to join.

I saw the offer for the $79 membership thing. For me personally it's not worth it because there are very few things I order from there (and I place at least five or six a year) that I need right away.

Even when I do the "don't ship till everything is available" thing, it still only takes about 4 business days usually. On rare occasions they'll delay the shipping for no apparent reason (everything is "Ships in 24 hours" but is delayed anyway) and it will take 6 or 7 business days from when I order it, but it doesn't bother me much.

I suppose if I were a small business ordering stuff I'd do it, because I could write it off but otherwise not.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I buy EVERYTHING off of Amazon.com so the Prime membership was a no-brainer for me. All my classical CDs, books, DVDs, etc. come from Amazon, so I'm thrilled about the free 2-day shipping.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I think for most of us, we would never use $79 worth of shipping charges........... amazon is going to make out on this deal. Its like a buffet, some people eat alot...... most don't.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Even the free supersaver shipping seems to take only a few days for me, and I don't mind waiting anyway. I'm sure this will be a nice money maker for Amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It is! They wouldn't be doing it unless they were getting something out of it!