More memory on my iBook!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Have a old iBook that i want to upgrade to install osx, but i don't know the right spesifikations on it! It looks like this, and have 300 mhz! thats all I know! I found this and I think it may work, am I right or not? TwinMOS SO-DIMM PC133 128 MB 8ns CL3 16M*16/8chip, 144pins for notebooks?

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.asp?sku=...&view=detailed

Please help me!

Comments

• Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by reyerd

TwinMOS SO-DIMM PC133 128 MB 8ns CL3 16M*16/8chip, 144pins for notebooks?

Besides the previous post with the two links, I found "Mactracker" http://www.mactracker.ca a very useful program (and you can have it for Windows, Mac and iPod!). As for your iBook, "Mactracker" will tell you that it is has 1 PC66 3.3V 144-pin SO-DIMM.

As for Crucial: I went there when I needed to figure out the RAM I'd need for my iBook G4, bought last May. I ended up with 512MB from Crucial, all fine.

HTH.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    off topic... but my iBook G4 933mhz 14" LCD just died
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    back on topic: specs of original ibook at everymac.com.

If you want to upgrade, your options are slim. I'm maxed out at 288 MB RAM, because I bought mine before Feb 2000. If you bought it after this date, then you can go up to a whopping 320 MB!!!

--B
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If you want to upgrade, your options are slim. I'm maxed out at 288 MB RAM...

--B

Sorry, but Mactracker says:

Maximum RAM: 544 or 576 MB (actual), 288 or 320 MB (Apple).

I take it that Apple says the RAM maxes out at 288 and/or 320 MB, but somebody "actual" got 544 (or even 576) MB in it.

Probably time to find it out...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Dvorak

Sorry, but Mactracker says:

Maximum RAM: 544 or 576 MB (actual), 288 or 320 MB (Apple).

I take it that Apple says the RAM maxes out at 288 and/or 320 MB, but somebody "actual" got 544 (or even 576) MB in it.

Probably time to find it out...

Crucial and I stand happily corrected.

Google ["ibook 300" + 544] and you'll get a bunch of discussions about RAM options and such.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 9
    It has 64 mb ram so it's bought after feb 2000! I updated the firmware so that my ibook support 256 mb ram! Do you think that I will be capable of running osx on it with more ram?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by reyerd

It has 64 mb ram so it's bought after feb 2000! I updated the firmware so that my ibook support 256 mb ram! Do you think that I will be capable of running osx on it with more ram?

For several years I've been running

OS 10.2.6 on

300MHz G3,

3 GB HD,

288 MB RAM

And plan to install Panther in a week or two. It only goes slow (and remember that this is a very relative term) when you get under 600 MB free space. But there is no slow-down even for all of the dock animation and other eye-candy.

Although I admit that if I were used to using a more modern machine, I would probably need to update to 544 MB RAM(which I am considering, actually).

Because of the HD limitations, I use Photoshop on an external HD, which means it's not too snappy starting up (USB 1 only). But it depends on what you want to do. Usually Apple OS iterations get faster as they progress. We'll see how Panther does.

--B
  • Reply 9 of 9