Should I give up and just order the PM??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I've only got 3 more weeks that I can wait before I have to order a new computer. What I'm looking at is this:

Dual 1.8GHz PM

1.25GB RAM (stock 256 + 3rd party 2x512)

Stock 80GB hard drive as OS/Apps disk

3rd Party 120GB or 160GB HD for everything else

ATI Radeon 9600XT

Bluetooth Module + wireless keyboard/mouse

19" flat screen CRT

Total ~ $2350 with edu discount

What could I reasonably expect at the low end after the eventual update? Bump to 2.0GHz, probably 512MB stock RAM, maybe the 9600XT becomes stock. POSSIBLY PCI-X, but I really don't think I need PCI-X. Anything else? (Tiger not included, I'm going to have to buy that for my laptop anyway)

So basically I'd most likely gain a 200MHz processor bump and 256MB more ram (making it 1.5GB over 1.25GB after the 3rd party RAM) Is this really worth the wait?

I don't NEED the computer right now, but I know I'm definitely missing out on the enjoyment of it by waiting until the bitter end. But I've been hearing everything from "updates in the next couple weeks" to "upgrades in april/may/june" and I really don't want to order the computer 2 weeks before it gets updated. I'd kick myself if right after I get my computer, I find that I could have gotten a better computer for cheaper if I'd just waited a bit longer.

What do you think?

EDIT: I should mention that I'm going to be in Grad school soon doing biological research. I need this computer to last as long as possible and be as powerful as possible to aid in the research if necessary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vtprinz

Ok, I've only got 3 more weeks that I can wait before I have to order a new computer.

Ugh, that's too bad, because I bet they're going to be updated soon. PowerMacs have gone longer without being updated than they ever have in the last several years. But if ya gotta do it, ya gotta do it.

If you're going to be in grad school in science, I'm sure you don't have to provide your own computer. Do you?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Ugh, that's too bad, because I bet they're going to be updated soon. PowerMacs have gone longer without being updated than they ever have in the last several years. But if ya gotta do it, ya gotta do it.

If you're going to be in grad school in science, I'm sure you don't have to provide your own computer. Do you?

If they provide anything it would be a stripped down PC.

The reason for the 3 week limit is because of the FAFSA. Almost all of my money comes from financial aid, as I wouldn't be able to afford college otherwise. Well, one of the questions on the FAFSA is basically "how much money do you have?". I could always lie or let someone else hold the money, but I've been advised against it (it's sort of like tax fraud). I've been planning on getting the computer for a while, but I suppose if I don't want to get screwed over my senior year then I should get rid of some of the surplus I managed to get this year. The deadline for the FAFSA is March 11th, and I need to give myself a week or so to order the computer and then send out the FAFSA...