Column width in Open & Save dialog boxes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anybody know if there is a utility that allows the full filename to be displayed in the column view within the Open & Save dialog boxes?

Because of our workflow, each file must be named like so:

12345-ClientName-DescriptionPlacedHere_4.pdf

The first five digits are the job number, followed by the client's name and a description of the file, then theres the revision number and the file extension. This ensures that you can tell exactly what a file is without having to open it.

At the moment, whenever I'm in any application and I go to the open or save dialog boxes I can only see the first few characters because the name is truncated. It doesn't matter how far you 'grow' the box, the column widths don't expand accordingly ? which is a bummer on a 23" display!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Does anybody know if there is a utility that allows the full filename to be displayed in the column view within the Open & Save dialog boxes?

Because of our workflow, each file must be named like so:

12345-ClientName-DescriptionPlacedHere_4.pdf

The first five digits are the job number, followed by the client's name and a description of the file, then theres the revision number and the file extension. This ensures that you can tell exactly what a file is without having to open it.

At the moment, whenever I'm in any application and I go to the open or save dialog boxes I can only see the first few characters because the name is truncated. It doesn't matter how far you 'grow' the box, the column widths don't expand accordingly ? which is a bummer on a 23" display!

Drag the divider between column names to the right.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The resize thumbs don't appear in the Open/Save boxes, unfortunately.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    They do in Panther at least
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    They do in Cocoa apps not most Carbon apps (like Photoshop, InDesign)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

They do in Cocoa apps not most Carbon apps (like Photoshop, InDesign)

Mmmm?

So I don't suppose you know if there is a utility that will enable this functionality in Carbon apps (like Photoshop, InDesign)?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Default Folder is the only open/save dialog enhancement I know about, but I'm not sure if it does what you want.

Why not just use list view?