AGP 4x card in a 2x slot?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can I safely put an AGP 4x card in a 2x slot? Will the drivers and hardware work correctly? I can't seem to find any hard evidence either way. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by yomofo:

<strong>Can I safely put an AGP 4x card in a 2x slot? Will the drivers and hardware work correctly? I can't seem to find any hard evidence either way. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Every AGP card I know is backwards compatible; a 4x can be used in a 2x and 1x.

For regards to drivers, is it a PC Graphics card (generic) and needs to be flashed or is it a Mac card your are putting from one machine to another? If the latter, then there should be no problems, just make sure all the latest OS updates are installed.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Just be aware that in case you have an ADC equipped card and put it into a non ADC capable board (2x AGP are all non ADC), you will not be able to use the ADC port, due to lack of power.

DVI or VGA works though.

That's because the power in the ADC plug is served to the ADC card by an extra connector in front of the AGP slot. If that isn't present, no power will be fed and a connected ADC display will not power up.

G-News
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    AGP 4x is backward compatible with 2x and 1x to a degree...as long as the voltages are the same. Modern cards run off 1.5 volts while older cards run off 3.3 volts. If you try to stick a 3.3V card in a 4x slot, it won't work, and you'll possibly damage your mobo and/or card.

Also, AGP 8x slots won't accept anything less than 4x cards.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Thanks everyone. That was just what I needed. Here's what I'm getting:

<a href="http://dealmac.com/articles/46623.html"; target="_blank">Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB for $102</a>

"Apple/Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB AGP for $102

PowerON offers dealmac readers the Apple/Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB AGP

graphics card for $101.97. (Credit card surcharge included.) That's about

half the price of the cheapest GeForce4 Ti4600 card we've seen. These aren't

listed online; to order, call 800.673.6227."

It has a DVI and ADC port, and based on this:

<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/sawgraf.html"; target="_blank">Sawtooth</a>

even if the ADC doesn't work, the DVI will, which is all I care about.

Thanks again.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: yomofo ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    G-News, you're wrong about ADC not working on a 2x slot... the Gigabit Ethernet G4s (400, dual 450, dual 500) all used ADC-enabled cards, yet they only used 2x AGP.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    how do you flash the rom on a card, i ahve a ATI Rage 3d II...how do i flash the ram,cuz i want this to work on my MAC
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    how do you flash the rom on a card, i ahve a ATI Rage 3d II...how do i flash the rom,cuz i want this to work on my MAC
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jeez, a rage ii? Can you even do anything useful with those? I'm going to have a Radeon PCI to sell soon... I'd make you a nice deal on it....
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Is that so? I was under the impression they only had DVI outputs and VGA, but if you say so...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I have personally owned (not anymore, now it's my mom's) a dual 500 system with an AGP Radeon, and I used a 17" Apple ADC CRT monitor on it. Worked great, I like how when you have it connected via ADC, it lets you use the monitor's power button like an actual power button.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    yes yes I looked it up, it's indeed an ADC.

the powerbutton thing you mention is a simple consequence of ADC incorporating USB