Jose Canseco calls out players on steroids

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
" Canseco claims he personally injected performance-enhancing drugs into some of the biggest names in the game, including All-Stars Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez."

Trust Canseco? Probably not, but the last 10 years of baseball records are probably a sham. I just find this sad.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If it was anyone but Canseco, and D. Strawberry doesn't count either , I may be inclined to believe him. However, his track record speaks for itself. What a looser he turned out to be.

I do believe that the last 10 years are crap records in MLB.

Eric
  • Reply 2 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

If it was anyone but Canseco, and D. Strawberry doesn't count either , I may be inclined to believe him. However, his track record speaks for itself. What a looser he turned out to be.

I do believe that the last 10 years are crap records in MLB.

Eric

what reason is there to not believe him? He's a big enough dick to reveal all this information in my opinion. And it's kind of tough to openly attack the biggest names in the sport if you're just going to make the stuff up.

The question is no longer if steroids are used in baseball, it's how widely used they are. I'm afraid the answer is going to be very sad if its ever found out.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Be honest, Applenut, as a college player (before your injury, I guess) and as a high school all star, if I recall correctly:

Have you ever been offered illegal performance enhancing drugs by a coach or a player?

Have you ever taken any?

Do you know players who have taken them personally?

How about HGH or something like that?

Just curious about your experience in the sport.

1. No, not by a coach. Fortunately my coach was ancient and nearly senile. I do know of other coaches at the HS level and in that age group promoting various illegal suplements. Not by a player either but I certainly could have asked a fellow player and I'm sure they would have offered. also, having only played HS and regional 18+ ball I haven't been as exposed to the problem as people who play at a collegiate or higher level have

2. No, have never taken any. Can't say I have ever had a desire to do so either. Although certainly injuries, set backs, and the intense and competitive recruiting process for both college and major league ball make it tempting at times and hard to justify turning down. If it works out and you get away with it, you probably catch the biggest break in your life, if it doesn't you just lose the small shot you had to begin with

3. Yes. Probably shouldn't say more than that due to regulations

4. Not familiar with it or know how rampant its use is

It's turning into a bigger problem, and it's not only baseball. From what I can tell, these sort of substances are easily attainable and current testing not only in the professional leagues but especially the NCAA is a joke. I think more surprising than the amount of MLB players using steroids would be the number of collegiate athletes.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rara Posts: 623member
    Some interesting commentary:

Quote:

http://www.louschuler.com/archives/s...x.html#a000468

The story has created a firestorm of denial, most vociferously by St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who managed Canseco and McGwire in Oakland and then McGwire in St. Louis.

From Rick Hummel in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: [. . .]

Now compare that to what Steve Kettmann wrote in Salon back in December: [. . .]

Somebody's lying, and I don't think it's the journalist.

UPDATE:

Back in 1990, Canseco published a book called Strength Training for Baseball, with Dave McKay, the coach La Russa cites as an eyewitness to McGwire's hard work and Canseco's laziness in the weight room.

So why didn't McKay write the book with McGwire instead of Canseco?

Just asking ...

The sparseness of the quote was so you'd click the link
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rara Posts: 623member
    Let me just add this: I didn't play baseball in high school, but I did play football. If had wanted to use steroids, I certainly knew who to ask. It was no mystery who was using. The coaches had no idea... but everyone else did.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Canseco, talk about someone with credibility problems...

On the other hand, ALL major baseball records for, oh, lets say the last 15 years should have an asterisk next to them.