Unwanted Items on Desktop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please help!

Sometimes downloads from the web have been interrupted and not fully downloaded to my desktop, (appearing like a faded grey Explorer 'e' in a box).

Each time I drag them to trash an error message comes up telling me the file is in use..

So now I have these download 'carcasses' that I can't get rid of. They don't appear in my 'Download Manager' so I can't canel then reload. If I try to replace the files and error message tells me I 'don't have the right privelidges'.

What can I do to get rid of them save re-installing the OS altogether?!

Many thanks for any advice

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Duracell123

Please help!

Sometimes downloads from the web have been interrupted and not fully downloaded to my desktop, (appearing like a faded grey Explorer 'e' in a box).

Each time I drag them to trash an error message comes up telling me the file is in use..

So now I have these download 'carcasses' that I can't get rid of. They don't appear in my 'Download Manager' so I can't canel then reload. If I try to replace the files and error message tells me I 'don't have the right privelidges'.

What can I do to get rid of them save re-installing the OS altogether?!

Many thanks for any advice

Chris

quit all applications and then try putting them in the trash. Then restart and then empty trash. If not I don't know
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for that! I've tried it but still doesn't work...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks for that! I've tried it but still doesn't work...

are the files locked? Did you use internet explorer?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes I used IE but I don't know if the files are 'locked' - what does that mean??
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Yes I used IE but I don't know if the files are 'locked' - what does that mean??

select the item then press apple(command)-I A dialogue box will appear it will tell you if the files are locked or not (in the general tab). You could also try changing the permissions if it isn't locked. Click on the arrow next to permissions (I think this is what it's called - I'm not with my Mac). You can change the owner to you - this will enable you to delete it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Have you considered using the terminal to destroy these pesky critters?

Google for sudo rm and a possible solution should appear.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for the advice! By following it i found an application called 'Force Delete' that worked a treat!

Cheers

Chris