Higher quality dls at ITMS--opinions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While I was driving today I got to thinking (which is hardly ever a good thing ). . .what if the ITMS offered a higher bitrate sampling of its songs/cds? Couldn't they just charge a bit more for it? Say. . .like 50 cents a song or something similar?

Apple lossless would be really pimp--but they probably can't do that because the Shuffle doesn't support it. So how about 256 or 320 bitrate? I'd pay extra for it.

Anyway, just rambling and wanted to see if others would pay a bit more for better SQ besides me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    offering a higher bitrate implicitly implies that 128bit AAC isnt good enough.

If Apple were to do such a thing, they would have to make it really worthwhile (new compression tech, 5.1 embedded, etc etc) and THEN allow EVERYONE to RE-DOWNLOAD every track they have ever bought.

I cant even THINK of the bandwidth needed for something like that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

offering a higher bitrate implicitly implies that 128bit AAC isnt good enough.

If Apple were to do such a thing, they would have to make it really worthwhile (new compression tech, 5.1 embedded, etc etc) and THEN allow EVERYONE to RE-DOWNLOAD every track they have ever bought.

I cant even THINK of the bandwidth needed for something like that.

I think we all know that it truly is NOT enough.

It would sound better--thats worthwhile enough for a lot of ppl, it wouldn't have to have different tech at all. Nor would they have to allow everyone to redownload their prior tracks--again, they would be paying MORE per track than at the 128bit tracks. Perhaps allowing some sort of "upgrade" price?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    if the iTMS compresison rate isnt good enough for you, just buy CDs and rip at Lossless. I mean if you jack up the price in iTMS alittle, you come right up to the cost of CD's at Best Buy and stuff, say $13 an album. So just go buy the actual Cd, rip it, then sell it at a used CD place or something.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if the iTMS compresison rate isnt good enough for you, just buy CDs and rip at Lossless. I mean if you jack up the price in iTMS alittle, you come right up to the cost of CD's at Best Buy and stuff, say $13 an album. So just go buy the actual Cd, rip it, then sell it at a used CD place or something.

Thats what I do now. I just find it hilarious that the digital format at ANY online music store is so lossy--for almost the same price as a cd (as you just noted).

It costs less to distribute (there are no cds, cases, shipping etc.) and its loaded with DRM (which cds don't have). It should be cheaper than what it is. Just my opinion of course.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I would pay more for higher sound quality. Unfortunately for me, I think I'm in the minority.

It'll happen... it's just a question of when it makes sense to do it.

Random prediction off the top of my head? In three years apple will switch to something of higher fidelity.