iBook Power Cord

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iBook that is almost 3 years old and the power cord is becoming frayed at the laptop plug end. I am afraid it will break, but I have not been able to find a replacement.

Any suggestions on where I can pick one up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You can get them from the apple online store. Do a search on "portable power adapter."
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Anyone know of a compatible plug though? I've got a perfectly good power adapter with a broken plug. It looks almost like a standard 1/8" mono plug, but that's just a little too big to fit.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You can get them from the apple online store. Do a search on "portable power adapter."

That's it! The trick is always knowing the right search string .
  • Reply 4 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    We have an iBook that is still covered under AppleCare. Can I get its frayed power adapter replaced?

On an unrelated note, my girlfriend also spilled gatoraid in it. I'm not joking. The keyboard is crunchy now but the thing works ok. What do you think about Apple replacing the keyboard?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

We have an iBook that is still covered under AppleCare. Can I get its frayed power adapter replaced?

Probably. I was having trouble with a connection in my cord (where the cord meets the plug that goes into the adaptor) being loose, so you had to jiggle it and hold it just the right way for charge to get through. A Genius ordered me a new one, no questions asked. These parts aren't supposed to fail within the covered period (unlike, say, a battery).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I recently tried to get a frayed power cord replaced by Applecare, and they wouldn't do it. They say it's caused by improper use, like pulling it out by the cord rather than the plug. It's worth a try, but it sounds like it's policy to not replace them.