Time to take the powerbook plunge?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm a mac newbie, but have worked with them in the past, and keen to get involved. Looks likely that I will moving into radio production in the coming months, so I think they will be useful for that.

Anyway, my question is this: do the new powerbooks tell me to go for it now... or should I hold out for the G5 PB's?

I will need to get one pretty soon, so how long will I have to wake before getting the G5?

Also... I'm from the UK. Don't know if that will make a difference.

Both my younger and elder brother have power books, and for the past year I've looked on with envy... will this give me the much needed extra kudos needed as a late joiner? I want some middle child respect darn it!!!

Thanks, look forward to your colourful replies.

fos

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by fosman

Hi all,

I'm a mac newbie, but have worked with them in the past, and keen to get involved. Looks likely that I will moving into radio production in the coming months, so I think they will be useful for that.

Anyway, my question is this: do the new powerbooks tell me to go for it now... or should I hold out for the G5 PB's?

I will need to get one pretty soon, so how long will I have to wake before getting the G5?

Both my younger and elder brother have power books, and for the past year I've looked on with envy... will this give me the much needed extra kudos needed as a late joiner? I want some middle child respect darn it!!!

fos

Well the PB G5 isn't on the immediate horizon - 6months to a year away, possibly even longer. The powerbooks have just been updated and are excellent machines - the g4 offers a very good performance/batterylife/form factor compromise. If your interested in agetting a mac, I'm sure you wouldn't be disapointed. Being in the UK should make only about a week or two of difference in the time it taskes to get a newly released machine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'm taking the plunge today! 1.67 G4 is close enough to my dual 1ghz to justify being portable. i do video editing, and design. The Dually take a bit to render on FINAL color correction, but for editing it is super fast.

So, I'm going mobile now. I was waiting for the G5's but it comes down to productivity.

A) I need a portable

B) It's almost as fast as my current machine.

C) i've lugged my G4 around and that's not fun.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'm for the 17inch too but I'm gonna wait till tiger comes out. I also plan to

pick up a scanner & photo printer. I'm leaning toward the canon i9900 over

the epson R800 because of the speed & picoliter size. Does anyone know

how long the prints last before fading? I've been reading some conflicting

info that the epson prints will last much longer before fading compared

to the canon.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Umm... sorry to be dumb... but what's Tiger? Should I wait for it?

I'm getting old! I don't understand technology anymore!!!

f
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Umm... sorry to be dumb... but what's Tiger? Should I wait for it?

I'm getting old! I don't understand technology anymore!!!

f

Tiger is the next major revision of the operating system. If you were to wait, it'd save you the (anticipated) $129.00 upgrade price, but I wouldn't expect Tiger to ship before June. If you buy a 'book now, it will run "Tiger," AKA OS 10.4 fine should you upgrade to it later. FWIW, the Pwerbooks right now are shipping with OS 10.3.

Go for it, I say! I've got a 1.25 AI book 15" and I absolutely love it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yes, I've ordered a Powerbook too. The $130 to upgrade the OS, when Tiger comes out, doesn't bother me much. You're going to enjoy your machine!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    If you look at the lastest price reductions and feature uprades, then it's definitively a good time to buy a PB!

It has never been cheaper. I still remeber the time when a TiBook hat dearly needed BTO upgrades all over the place cost as much as double the price of the ones they sell now ... and this time it'd BTO downgrade stuff!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Hi all,

fos

supply shouldn't be too bad in the UK. I ordered mine on the 31st (a BTO) and it's getting in Tuesday. Wait till Regent Street get it (if you can get there) and pop down (unless you want BTO)