Airport Extreme On Airport Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello!

I have a 733MHz G4 powermac which I would like to configure for Airport extreme (i.e. 80-whatever-something-g). Of course, it only has the old airport slot.

I have heard that the USB adaptors are not all that great. Is this true? Can anyone recommend a cheap USB/PCI solution? Preferably for absolute minimum expenditure!

With such a device, would the computer 'become' a base station for the other mac in the house?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    I had a similar issue, and I bought a Belkin USB Adapter (Drivers: --->http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=), and it works like a charm in my old iMac G3 :3 I did a price research on the net, and got mine for about 30 ?.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Hello!

I have a 733MHz G4 powermac which I would like to configure for Airport extreme (i.e. 80-whatever-something-g). Of course, it only has the old airport slot.

I have heard that the USB adaptors are not all that great. Is this true? Can anyone recommend a cheap USB/PCI solution? Preferably for absolute minimum expenditure!

With such a device, would the computer 'become' a base station for the other mac in the house?

Thanks!

it's 802.11g. your computer wouldn't become a base station but would be able to connect to one (and would have to make it useful. The card just lets you connect to a wireless network, like an ethernet card.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MacCrazy:

Can't the mac share its internet access, so you only need one mac physically connected to the net and the others access through it? (which is what I meant by "become a base station").
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

MacCrazy:

Can't the mac share its internet access, so you only need one mac physically connected to the net and the others access through it? (which is what I meant by "become a base station").

yeah, you can do that. BUT you'll need to have a router to direct the 'traffic' unlike ethernet you cannot connect two computers with just airport cards, you need a base station. With ethernet you can connect the macs to each other with one wire.