1 g ram bars? For Powerbooks

whmwhm
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does the new G4 power books just released, accept the same ram as the powerbook that they replaced?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whm

Does the new G4 power books just released, accept the same ram as the powerbook that they replaced?

they're a speed bump but the RAM used hasn't. They still use PC2700 RAM 333MHz (for the 15" at least) are you upgrading your system?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

they're a speed bump but the RAM used hasn't. They still use PC2700 RAM 333MHz (for the 15" at least) are you upgrading your system?

Yes, I'm going to add 1g ram to bring it up to 1.5. What do you think
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by whm

Yes, I'm going to add 1g ram to bring it up to 1.5. What do you think

yeah go for it, i heard you shouldn't mix different ram sizes, not that many listen to it though. SO you're upgrading from which model? 1GHz, 1.33GHz or 1.5GHZ? to which one?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

yeah go for it, i heard you shouldn't mix different ram sizes, not that many listen to it though. SO you're upgrading from which model? 1GHz, 1.33GHz or 1.5GHZ? to which one?

What about mixing ram sizes?? I just bought my wife a 15" pb and I wouldn't mind taking out one of my 512mb sticks out of my 17" PB and popping in a 1gb stick then taking that 512mb stick and putting it in the wifes's 15" pb

So why shouldn't you mix sticks?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Mine is the new 1.67GHz and my wife's is the 1.33 GHz. Put a 1G ram into both powerbooks. Mine had one 512 with an empty slot. My wife's had 2 256 chips, took out one and now mine has 1.5 and her's 1.2. Seems to be working O.K.

WHM
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

What about mixing ram sizes?? I just bought my wife a 15" pb and I wouldn't mind taking out one of my 512mb sticks out of my 17" PB and popping in a 1gb stick then taking that 512mb stick and putting it in the wifes's 15" pb

So why shouldn't you mix sticks?

you get a better performance from two chips at the same size than at different sizes. 768 in a 512 and 256 wouldn't perform as well as three 256MB. Although if you have that many ram slots you should be probably installing in pairs anyway!!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Um.......

"Note: The 15-inch PowerBook G4 does not use memory interleaving, so installing two SO-DIMMs of the same size does not result in any performance gain."

From this Developer's Note on the Apple Developer site.

--B
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Um.......

"Note: The 15-inch PowerBook G4 does not use memory interleaving, so installing two SO-DIMMs of the same size does not result in any performance gain."

From this Developer's Note on the Apple Developer site.

--B

oh ok, I was wrong, sorry! I had heard it - i personally can't always afford that option myself (my current iMac has 768 (512 and 256)