Mac Virgin

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all, I am a virgin to the Mac world. I am purchasing my iBook this Saturday at the Apple factory store in Miami. I have a few questions as I am a long time PC user, would dragging a file/folder/program to the recycling bin completely delete it from the HDD? Also how would I transfer my iTunes music library from my PC to my Mac (I have the airport base station with air tunes)? Also do you have any tips you can provide me with for a new time user? The GUI is very different and I don?t want my initial experience with my Mac to be a disaster.

-Justin Mila

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    First off, welcome to Appleinsider and to the Apple world in general...

***would dragging a file/folder/program to the recycling bin completely delete it from the HDD?

ZO: No. It just sits there until you actually delete it. It will not be erased. You have the option to just normally delete it or even Securely Delete which means it is erased and written over with random data, making it totally irrecoverable.

*** Also how would I transfer my iTunes music library from my PC to my Mac (I have the airport base station with air tunes)?

ZO: Just take your iTunes music folder and drag it over to your Mac. Thats it. If you have painstakingly classified all songs, rated, etc, Im not sure if the iTunes prefernce file made on a PC is the same as the one a Mac. Also, do you have music bought from the iTunes store?

*** Also do you have any tips you can provide me with for a new time user?

ZO: Experiment and have fun. You cant mess up OSX unless you really really try. Just go nuts, explore all the applications, go to versiontracker.com and get great programs, shareware, etc. Also, you may want to do a search here for "Essential software" or something like that where people in past have asked one another what applications they absolutely cant live without. Dont be afraid to ask

**** The GUI is very different and I don?t want my initial experience with my Mac to be a disaster.

ZO: Practice makes perfect. Try different things. Its a different approach, but once you get used to it, you'll just think "duh, thats logical" and if you go and use Windows again, you'll probably be frustrated

A good friend, a Windows fanatic, made the jump. After 2 months he swears he will never go back to Windows.

So, it may take you less or more, but just experiment and customize to your hearts delight!!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

First off, welcome to Appleinsider and to the Apple world in general...

***would dragging a file/folder/program to the recycling bin completely delete it from the HDD?

ZO: No. It just sits there until you actually delete it. It will not be erased. You have the option to just normally delete it or even Securely Delete which means it is erased and written over with random data, making it totally irrecoverable.

*** Also how would I transfer my iTunes music library from my PC to my Mac (I have the airport base station with air tunes)?

ZO: Just take your iTunes music folder and drag it over to your Mac. Thats it. If you have painstakingly classified all songs, rated, etc, Im not sure if the iTunes prefernce file made on a PC is the same as the one a Mac. Also, do you have music bought from the iTunes store?

*** Also do you have any tips you can provide me with for a new time user?

ZO: Experiment and have fun. You cant mess up OSX unless you really really try. Just go nuts, explore all the applications, go to versiontracker.com and get great programs, shareware, etc. Also, you may want to do a search here for "Essential software" or something like that where people in past have asked one another what applications they absolutely cant live without. Dont be afraid to ask

**** The GUI is very different and I don?t want my initial experience with my Mac to be a disaster.

ZO: Practice makes perfect. Try different things. Its a different approach, but once you get used to it, you'll just think "duh, thats logical" and if you go and use Windows again, you'll probably be frustrated

A good friend, a Windows fanatic, made the jump. After 2 months he swears he will never go back to Windows.

So, it may take you less or more, but just experiment and customize to your hearts delight!!

the recycling bin in windows works the same as the trash in OS X. If you've got AirPort express set it up on your Mac and PC and then you need to turn on file sharing, etc. You can then connect to the PC (or to the mac from the PC) go to network (it should be in the sidebar) and drag files onto your computer.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Have any of you had recognition issues while coupling the apple airport with a foreign wireless router? in both at home and outside. Would any of you recommend any other routers other than the Airport base station?? Are their any preferred web sites you use as reference or to shop for iBook accessories?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmila1901

Have any of you had recognition issues while coupling the apple airport with a foreign wireless router? in both at home and outside. Would any of you recommend any other routers other than the Airport base station??

I use a Linksys Router with my PowerBook and have never had a problem. Safari (or any web browser) is used for router configuration. I've also connected to many other outside networks -- OSX handles wireless quite well.

Oh yeah: if you don't want your initial experience to be bad, then get as much RAM as you can.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmila1901

Have any of you had recognition issues while coupling the apple airport with a foreign wireless router? in both at home and outside. Would any of you recommend any other routers other than the Airport base station?? Are their any preferred web sites you use as reference or to shop for iBook accessories?

I use a Netgear router - it's brilliant, was a pain in the arse setting up on the PC though. You can't extend third party wireless base-stations with Airport base-stations.