Bizzare monitor problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have three CRTs (a 20 inch, a 17 inch, and a little 15 inch that I keep iTunes on) all in a row on my desk.

The middle 17 incher took a crap recently, in that it would just turn off at random intervals. I could usually get it back working if I unplugged it and let it sit for a while.

Eventually, it got to the point where I had to leave it unplugged for several hours just to get 15 minutes run time. That was unacceptable, so I ditched it, and got a Dell P992 19" CRT. (Saving my money for the ever-elusive killer PM)

ANYWAY...now my Dell is experiencing similar problems. Sometimes it will stay on for several hours, sometimes just for 30 minutes. Fortunately, all I have to do it press the power button to turn it back on.

I've checked the mains voltage, in case it might be a "brownout" situation, but no dice. I also figured that maybe the EM field from one of the monitors on the other sides might be causing the problem, so I built a makeshift faraday cage around it. That seems to help.

Does anyone out there have any clue as to what may be going on? I've completely run out of ideas...other than buy a LCD. Normally I would just chalk up the problem to crappy CRTs, but two in a row?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I'm no expert - I'm good at software but could it be surges or something damaging your monitors? Do they get very hot? Is it not in a warranty?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I'm no expert - I'm good at software but could it be surges or something damaging your monitors? Do they get very hot? Is it not in a warranty?

Well, I thought it might be a voltage issue, seeing as how I've got close to three hundred pounds of "stuff" that's on pretty much all of the time, but no problems there. Also, I've got several other monitors on the same circuit, and they're fine (I've even got an ancient Apple 12" RGB for one of my servers that refuses to die).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Well, I thought it might be a voltage issue, seeing as how I've got close to three hundred pounds of "stuff" that's on pretty much all of the time, but no problems there. Also, I've got several other monitors on the same circuit, and they're fine (I've even got an ancient Apple 12" RGB for one of my servers that refuses to die).

i've got no idea then, is it in warranty?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i've got no idea then, is it in warranty?

What video card do you have in this bugger ?