Safari Stalls out on my G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had this problem for a while, basically safari takes up half of my 2.5 G5's power (according to a CPU monitor) and stalls out when loading or going forward or backward.

When I first launch safari, it's fairly responsive, but after a while it just starts to break down.

Lots of times clicking on hyperlinks or form submissions doesn't actually register with safari, and the cursor doesn't recognize them.

In addition, sometimes typing in text fields slows to a crawl.

I'll be switching to firefox soon if I don't find an answer.

PS: I use lots of tabs, multitask like hell, click on links constantly before the page loads, and "just don't push safari as hard" is not an answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I've had this problem for a while, basically safari takes up half of my 2.5 G5's power (according to a CPU monitor) and stalls out when loading or going forward or backward.

When I first launch safari, it's fairly responsive, but after a while it just starts to break down.

Lots of times clicking on hyperlinks or form submissions doesn't actually register with safari, and the cursor doesn't recognize them.

In addition, sometimes typing in text fields slows to a crawl.

I'll be switching to firefox soon if I don't find an answer.

PS: I use lots of tabs, multitask like hell, click on links constantly before the page loads, and "just don't push safari as hard" is not an answer.

Safari doesn't like flash ads. What's strange is safari is zippy on some machines but really slow on others (where it should be faster). I'd switch to firefox. I don't like the non-apple look, the fact the up arrow doesn''t take you to the beginning of the line but that's it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yeah, try Firefox.

Then download whatever extensions you think you might like.

Essentials for me:

AdBlock

FlashBlock

Tabbrowser Preferences

I'm sure Safari 2.0 will address many existing issues, but until that's released Firefox is a great alternative.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    thanks guys

I wonder if they'll release a brushed skin

PS: for anyone else in the same situation, here's how to transfer your bookmarks:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=161465
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

thanks guys

I wonder if they'll release a brushed skin

PS: for anyone else in the same situation, here's how to transfer your bookmarks:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=161465

They are making a more aqua version for OS X - i don't know if it's brushed metal. It should be out June.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    if your gonna use firefox, make sure you get the g5 optimized version, it flies.