Black Screen

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

Been using my mums G4 powerbook and while using it, the screen went black in blocked out sections and then I saw some random text, somethng about debugging, then it crashed. Its happened a couple of times now and everything is fine upon restarting. Any clues as to what this is would be appreciated,

thanks guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spanna

Hi

Been using my mums G4 powerbook and while using it, the screen went black in blocked out sections and then I saw some random text, somethng about debugging, then it crashed. Its happened a couple of times now and everything is fine upon restarting. Any clues as to what this is would be appreciated,

thanks guys

I think there are reports of this happening, i think 10.3.8 (the latest OS X update) is suppoosed to fix these problems. Check Apples support pages for more info.

http://www.apple.com/support
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think there are reports of this happening, i think 10.3.8 (the latest OS X update) is suppoosed to fix these problems. Check Apples support pages for more info.

http://www.apple.com/support

No, you are thinking of the problem that some PBs have waking from sleep to a black screen. What spanna is experiencing is an old-style kernel panic. Either spanna is using a version of OS X prior to 10.3, or he is experiencing a "low-level" KP in 10.3 rather than the nice multi-lingual message you usually get.

Spanna, a kernel panic indicates that there is either a hardware problem or there is a buggy third-party kernel extension installed. You need to answer a few questions in order to help us solve the problem:

Which OS version are you running?

What are you doing when the error message appears?

Are there any third-party drivers installed?

launch "Console" (which is in /applications/utilities) and look for "panic.log" in the source column on the left. Single-click on it, and the contents of the log will be displayed in the main part of the window on the right. Copy the most recent entry (assuming all the entries are the same) and paste it here and we'll see if we can make any sense of it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

No, you are thinking of the problem that some PBs have waking from sleep to a black screen. What spanna is experiencing is an old-style kernel panic. Either spanna is using a version of OS X prior to 10.3, or he is experiencing a "low-level" KP in 10.3 rather than the nice multi-lingual message you usually get.

Spanna, a kernel panic indicates that there is either a hardware problem or there is a buggy third-party kernel extension installed. You need to answer a few questions in order to help us solve the problem:

Which OS version are you running?

What are you doing when the error message appears?

Are there any third-party drivers installed?

launch "Console" (which is in /applications/utilities) and look for "panic.log" in the source column on the left. Single-click on it, and the contents of the log will be displayed in the main part of the window on the right. Copy the most recent entry (assuming all the entries are the same) and paste it here and we'll see if we can make any sense of it.

i did think the debugging seemed a bit odd. Thanks for correcting me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the help guys will get the info you require and post it up,

spanna