Ready to Buy!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I am ready, in the next few days, to pull the trigger and get a mini, but first, I just have a question:

I will be useing wifi, I see no external antenna port, how is wifi reception? FYI I currentll get a full strength signal on my winxp tower with pci wifi On top of which the mini will rest (how Cliché)

My config:

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM

? 40GB Ultra ATA drive

? Combo Drive

? AirPort Extreme Card

? 56K v.92 Modem

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

Estimated Ship:

2-3 weeks

Free Shipping

Subtotal $617.00

cannot wait to get my hands on this baby (and the KVM...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

OK, I am ready, in the next few days, to pull the trigger and get a mini, but first, I just have a question:

I will be useing wifi, I see no external antenna port, how is wifi reception? FYI I currentll get a full strength signal on my winxp tower with pci wifi On top of which the mini will rest (how Cliché)

My config:

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM

? 40GB Ultra ATA drive

? Combo Drive

? AirPort Extreme Card

? 56K v.92 Modem

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

Estimated Ship:

2-3 weeks

Free Shipping

Subtotal $617.00

cannot wait to get my hands on this baby (and the KVM...)

I own a mini.... did not get it with wifi

From what I hear it works as well as an iBook with wifi

My iBook does just as well as my junk-box? windows PC

...... I think you will be happy..... go for it.........
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Can I use an extra Dell monitor with a mini? How bout mouse & keyboard, are PC & Macs interchangeable? $617, nice price!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Advance The Man

Can I use an extra Dell monitor with a mini? How bout mouse & keyboard, are PC & Macs interchangeable? $617, nice price!

Yep, shouldn't be a problem. Mouse and Keyboard will need to be USB though (use PS2->USB adapter on the PS2 devices if you have them).

a_greer: There's an internal antenna I think which gets installed when you BTO the Airport Extreme card. If it's as good as an iBook as M.O.S.T says, then it'll get pretty good reception.

Also, get it quickly. You need OS X's spell-checker *desperately* for your posts...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

... my winxp tower with pci wifi On top of which the mini will rest (how Cliché)

Or you could bin the WinXP computer and just use a table
  • Reply 5 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    My wi-fi reception is flawless - I have never had a drop since I got it. On my PC, I was using Linksys WAP11s and WET11s, and they would drop every few days, but not the mac.

I am using a Belkin pre-n wireless hub, which is 50 feet from the mac.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Or you could bin the WinXP computer and just use a table

Nope, still need Visio, and testing javascript, (the teachers grade java in IE in WinXP, so that is what I code it to work best in, obviously), I will be getting the latest version of Office:Mac, but without MS Access, I still will need windows, at least till the end of this term,
  • Reply 7 of 12
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Nope, still need Visio, and testing javascript, (the teachers grade java in IE in WinXP, so that is what I code it to work best in, obviously), I will be getting the latest version of Office:Mac, but without MS Access, I still will need windows, at least till the end of this term,

Can't OmniGraffle handle the vision stuff, I haven't actually used visio but I think you can export to visio format using OmniGraffle
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Can't OmniGraffle handle the vision stuff, I haven't actually used visio but I think you can export to visio format using OmniGraffle

I havnt seen it or used it, and as to the export thing, is it visio or visio 2003, there is, according to freinds who have the old versions, conflicts going between Visio and Visio 2003, I use 2003.

btw:

Any omniGraffle screenshots?

UPDATE:

OMFG: Just googled it and wowsa, the screenshot at the top of this page makes me want it soooo bad, it is lightyears ahead of Visio
  • Reply 9 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    You don't want bluetooth?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

You don't want bluetooth?

No use for it, I have a sanyo 7200(no BT), and will be using wired KB+M.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

I havnt seen it or used it, and as to the export thing, is it visio or visio 2003, there is, according to freinds who have the old versions, conflicts going between Visio and Visio 2003, I use 2003.

btw:

Any omniGraffle screenshots?

UPDATE:

OMFG: Just googled it and wowsa, the screenshot at the top of this page makes me want it soooo bad, it is lightyears ahead of Visio

Yeah, the Omni Group makes great apps. OmniGraffle exports to Visio XML, for whatever it's worth. If I have Visio 2003 on my PC (forget if I've installed it or not)... I'll try something out later.

There's also edu pricing on it as well.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Yeah, the Omni Group makes great apps. OmniGraffle exports to Visio XML, for whatever it's worth. If I have Visio 2003 on my PC (forget if I've installed it or not)... I'll try something out later.

There's also edu pricing on it as well.

and demos...I love demos....so much easier than buying what is unknown.

also just found this on the omni site
    Quote:

OmniGraffle Professional is the premier Mac OS X diagramming application that gives you the ability to import and export multiple page Visio® 2002 XML files. Visio shapes, lines, colors, gradients, patterns, transparencies, shadows, connections, images, groups, text, text styles, and more become first-class OmniGraffle documents. When you've made your edits, simply export as a Visio XML drawing to share your information with your PC colleagues.

Looks like I am out of luck till the next version, but it is worth a shot