CPU from G4 Quicksilver into G4 AGP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

does a 933 Mhz CPU from an G4 Quicksilver (2002) fit into a G4/350 AGP?

I heard different statements about that. Somebody told me the CPU doesn`t fit at all, although its's the same slot, someone else told me that it fits and works but not with full processor speed (700 Mhz) cause the mainboard runs only at 100 Mhz.

I hope to find a definite answer to this question.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ecki

Hi,

does a 933 Mhz CPU from an G4 Quicksilver (2002) fit into a G4/350 AGP?

I heard different statements about that. Somebody told me the CPU doesn`t fit at all, although its's the same slot, someone else told me that it fits and works but not with full processor speed (700 Mhz) cause the mainboard runs only at 100 Mhz.

I hope to find a definite answer to this question.

Thanks.

It will work with some minor modifications. 933 / 133 = 7. The CPU has a multiplier of 7, so 7 * 100 means it will run at 700MHz in your mac. You'll need to solder some resistors to change the multiplier if you want to bump it to 900, 950, or if you're lucky, 1GHz. Also, Quicksilver CPU cards use a 4th screw and your Sawtooth motherboard doesn't have the mount. You'll need to ground that point on the card in some way like with a wire. Also, you cannot use the Quicksilver's heatsink because it will not fit in your Sawtooth case.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    That's good hints.

So if I am not making any changes the CPU will run at 700 Mhz. Is that right?

Is the 4th screw thing technically absolutely necessary or is it only to fasten the card correctly to the board?

I have both the QS and the sawtooth heatsink. So can I just use the sawtooth heatsink with the QS CPU?

Thank you for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm not completely sure, but I think that the 4th hole needs to be grounded if you aren't going to use it for mounting. Also, I'm pretty sure the Sawtooth heatsink won't fit the new card.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    so if neither the QS nor the sawtooth heatsink fits the new card on the sawtooth board: what can be done?